5 Written Questions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Two contradictory (opposite) words used together to form an expression.
- When two UNLIKE objects or people are put together in a story. Ex: socks and flip flops
- Very descriptive writing that uses the language of the senses
- A difference between the way things seem and the way they really are. Most Common Type - Situational -- where events that happen in a way that is opposite of what everyone expects. This is what you have always called just "irony."
- When human characteristics are given to non-linving objects or animals.
4 True/False Questions
Simile → When an object used takes on a deeper meaning. Ex: The heart shaped key in Hugo is a symbol for life.
Metaphor → A comparison of two UNLIKE items NOT using like or as.
Foreshadowing → When the story goes back to an earlier event and relives it. Ex: We learn about Hugo's father through flashback.
Hyperbole → Great exaggeration