problems with the Articles of Confederation
1. no uniform money system
2. could not enforce trade agreements with other countries
3. couldn't protect citizens from unfair discrimination (loyalists treated poorly)
4. couldn't prevent competition between the states
5. Congress had little money, had to rely on voluntary contributions
sucsesses of Article of Confederation
1. Northwest ordinance
2. NW ordinance states outlawed slavery, could create own govts.
angry farmers gathered and prepared to attack an arsenal for weapons. the group was ultimately defeated but they did prove a point that the articles of confederation were not sucsessful
significance of Shay's Rebellion
proved that the articles of confederation were too weak. govts. were also scared more rebellions would follow if they didn't fix the problems
the farmers couldn't pay off their debt. they were treated poorly. after fighting in the war, they returned home to be turned down by the country they had just saved. many of the farmers were imprisoned because they didn't pay of the debts they owed.