5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- amor omnia vincit
- a the people who inhabited central Italy before and during the early history of Rome.
- b love conquers all; phrase from Vergil's poem Eclogue 10.
- c Latin derivative meaning "warlike, hostile"
- d breastplate; currently it means a source of protection for a group, individual, or idea.
- e in legal terms, it is the attempt to show that a defendant was not present at a crime location because others can place him/her at that time in a different place. From the Latin that means somewhere else.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Latin for "and the others" often used to shorten a list of many names.
- a tall, 2 handled vase/urn often used to carry wine.
- legendary "city in/under the sea" referenced by Plato, it is a metaphor for a city-state of great power, technological advancement.
- the bundled twigs around an ax which was the symbol of military control held by a dictator. fascists derive their name from this item.
- ever upward! state motto of New York
5 True/False questions
Archimedes → Greek scientist/philosopher who is credited with discovering water displacement to find the volume/density of objects as well as many other scientific and mathematic discoveries. Famously associated with the exclamation "Eureka" (I found it!)"
alumna/alumnae → nourished girl/girls; female graduates of an institution.
etymology → the study of the origin of language, the words themselves, and the change in definition of words.
Chimera → a fire breathing monster which was a lioness with serpent for a tail and with a goat in the mid section.
amphitheater → a large, public open-air arena where entertainment events were held, such as gladiatorial combat.