5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Henry V
- Seljuk Turks
- pagan holidays
- a means "those from hell" a name given to the Mongols because of their vast numbers.
- b The earliest known signed piece by Perotin
- c Muslims who had conquered the Holy Land and the Byzantine emperor called for Christians to drive them from it - started the Crusades
- d Saturnalia-Christmas, fertility festival-Easter, Floralia-Pentecost, festival for the dead-All Soul's Day (Halloween)
- e After seeing apprehension in the faces of troops, he gave a passionate speech that excited and rededicated his soldiers which led to a victory the next day.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- innovation to help with agriculture
- located beyond the intersection of the cross. The choir often sits on benches that go along the sides of the [ ]. Sides of this area are also called the choir.
- a small colony left on Hispaniola (modern Haiti and the Domincan Republic)
- Chaucer's greatest work, gives insights into the historical setting of the fourteenth century.
- designated times and prayers
5 True/False Questions
Pendentives → the transitions that allowed this architecture. They are structural elements between the tops of the arches that bend inward and around to form a circular opening on which the dome can rest.
Yuan Dynasty → Dynasty in China set up by the Mongols under the leadership of Kublai Khan, replaced the Song (1279-1368)
England → young Germanic emperor, lost power, tried to regain it but caused strain in the church - a weakness was est in the Holy Roman Empire that would never be fully repaired
"High" Middle Ages → had an excellent reputation for its school of theology.
Tercets → three-line verses that rhyme with the first and third line.