What are the differences between international and domestic politics?
International politics are between countries whereas domestic politics are within a single country.
Who are the major actors in international relations?
The non-government actors are international organizations such as the united nations and then regional organizations such as the European union. Social groups, business groups, ambassadors, etc.
What factors condition foreign policy and what types of policies are there?
Domestic attitudes and beliefs and needs. There are three different types of policies: Isolationist - minimum involvement with the outside world. Nonalignment - no interest being aligned with anyone in the outside world. Coalition/Alliance - very active and involved in world affairs.
Are policies cast in stone or do they change over time?
They change over time.
What are sources of national power?
3. Military Power
What is fiduciary power in international relations and its implications?
It is the government or a person acting on behalf of its country. It raises moral questions because they're representing their country in the midst of several countries.
Why are impediments on international communication important?
Lack of communication leads to conflicts.
What are the tools of international relations?
1. Diplomacy - ambassadors and consulates.
2. Economic Sanctions - Withholding trade, etc.
3. Military Rewards/Threats - Threat war, terrorism, making alliance, etc.
What are the strengths/weaknesses of diplomacy, economic sanctions, and military rewards/threats?
1. Diplomacy - Not always going to work because talking things out doesn't mean the other will listen.
2. Economic Sanctions - It has to be universally enforced.
3. Military Rewards/Threats - War, death, and overall loss of morale.
What is the United Nations system, what powers does it have, and what are its strengths/weaknesses?
Made to guarantee everyone's freedoms and prevent "hot" wars. They have the power to put pressure on other countries to prevent a conflict, but each nation is sovereign so they don't really hold the ultimate decision.
What are some global issues of the future?
1. 35% of people live on less than a dollar a day.
2. Depleting resources such as forests and water.