5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- How does Henry reform the church?
- Good Henry IV
- What is the legacy of Elizabeth I?
- Good Catherine " "
- Who was wife number 5 and what was her fate?
- a Gained black sea, poland, expanded into central europe
- b -Make's france strong, united, and peaceful by converting from Protestantism to Catholicism
-Edict of Nantes: ended religious conflict and civil wars
-Duke of Sully-Treasurer
- c "Elizabethan Age"- peace, prosperity
Englands greatest ruler- settled religious disputes
Allowed private religious tolerance
Exploration: Granted Sir Walter Raleigh the right to establish colony in North America
- d Katherine Howard (cousin of Anne Boleyn) was beheaded for unfaithfulness in 1542.
- e Henry breaks from the Catholic Church, declaring himself the head of the church in England. He makes everyone swear Act of Supremacy (accepting Henry's leading role as head of Church).
5 Multiple choice questions
- -Even though the Palace of Versailles symbolized his power as an Absolute Monarch, it strained the French Economy
-Took away the Edict of Nantes--> weakened France
- When Anne gives birth to a girl (Mary) and miscarries two boys, Henry beheads Anne (instead of a divorce) because she allegedly had 4 affairs and Incest with her brother. That makes the daughter of Anne illegitimate.
- 10 years old at reign, dies at 16!!!!
(His uncle helped him-- regent)
- Learned about western civilization:
--better army-->war w/ sweden-->territorial gain/sea
Westernization=Russia prospers--> Peter THE GREAT :)
- Demonstrated his power as an Absolute Monarch by changing England's religious ways in order to divorce his wife so he could have sons to follow him to throne
-The Pope declares him "Defender of the Faith"
-He wrote "In defense of the 7 sacraments"
5 True/False questions
Who follow's Mary I to the throne? → Because Mary I died childless, Elizabeth I followed her to throne.
What inspires Henry to reform the church? → Henry wants the Pope to allow him to divorce from Catherine (who is unable to birth a son, only a girl [henry needs an heir]). At this time, the pope is in no position to grant him this wish for he is being held hostage by Catherine's nephew, Charles V (HRE). Henry 'separates' from Catherine since the pope can't reply (and won't allow it).
Bad Charles V → -continuous wars drained spain's financial and human resources
Good Frederick William I → Encouraged religious tolerance and legal reform
Acquired Silesia making Prussia a world power
As an Absolute monarch AND now the head of the church in England, what can Henry do now? → Katherine Howard (cousin of Anne Boleyn) was beheaded for unfaithfulness in 1542.