5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Free Soil Party
- Civil Rights Act
- Black Codes
- a During the Civil War, conscription created public unrest and class resentment b/c:
-immigrants felt like they were drafted more often
-families lost their breadwinners
-wealthy could avoid the draft by paying or hiring substitutes
-men who had over a certain amount of slaves were exempt (to keep order in Southern society and allow for food production)
- b this political group opposed expansion of slavery into western territories
- c 1866 - Prohibited abridgement of rights of blacks or any other citizens.
- d A northerner who went to the South immediately after the Civil War; especially one who tried to gain political advantage or other advantages from the disorganized situation in southern states
- e Southern laws designed to restrict the rights of the newly freed black slaves
5 Multiple choice questions
- Union strategy
• Split the Confederacy in two by capturing the Mississippi River
• Blockade Confederate ports
- 1865 - Agency set up to aid former slaves in adjusting themselves to freedom. It furnished food and clothing to needy blacks and helped them get jobs
- founded in the 1860s in the south; meant to control newly freed slaves through threats and violence
- During the race to become Senator Lincoln asked to have multiple debates with Douglas. Certain topics of these debates were slavery, how to deal with slavery, and where slavery should be allowed. Although Lincoln lost the election to Douglas, he was known throughout the country because of the debates.
- BETWEEN: Franklin Pierce (Democrat) and Winfield Scott; RESULTS: WHIG party splits over nomination Fillmore v. Scott; Antislavery North vs. Southern Whigs that disliked Winfield Scott; Doomed Whig Party - Democratic party united under Pierce! Leads to formation of sectional parties instead of national parties. VICTOR: Franklin Pierce (Democrat)
5 True/False questions
California Gold Rush → gold discovery in Sutter's Mill in 1848 resulted in huge mass of adventurers in 1849, led to application for statehood, opened question of slavery in the West
Missouri Compromise → The issue was that Missouri wanted to join the Union as a slave state, therefore unbalancing the Union so there would be more slave states then free states. The compromise set it up so that Maine joined as a free state and Missouri joined as a slave state. Congress also made a line across the southern border of Missouri saying except for the state of Missouri, all states north of that line must be free states or states without slavery.
Tenure of Office Act → 1866 - enacted by radical congress - forbade president from removing civil officers without senatorial consent - was to prevent Johnson from removing a radical republican from his cabinet (Stanton)
Antietam → the site of surrender of the Confederate general Lee to Union general Grant in April 1865, marking the end of the Civil War, his surrender prevent several more years of guerilla war, Grant was lenient- the idea of reconciliation not vengeance, the south could keep its horses and the generals could keep their guns
Kansas Nebraska Act → This Act set up Kansas and Nebraska as states. Each state would use popular sovereignty to decide what to do about slavery. People who were proslavery and antislavery moved to Kansas, but some antislavery settlers were against the Act. This began guerrilla warfare.