4 Written Questions
3 Multiple Choice Questions
- No fasting required. 50g glucose load. Between 24-28 weeks gestation. If FPG >125mg/dL then GDM confirmed. If Peak plasma or 2hr glucose value >200mg/dL then GDM confirmed.
- Performed in place of OGTT (Oral Glucose Tolerance Test). For patients w/ poor absorption of orally administered glucose. [May have a glucose transporter problem in GI tract].
- - Fasting plasma glucose (FPG): 126 mg/dL or higher
- Plasma glucose 2 hr after 75 g glucose load (2hr PG): 200 mg/dL or higher
- A casual/random plasma glucose (PG) of 200 mg/dL or higher
- Confirmation is not required if the patient presents with either a hyperosmolar or ketotic crisis. The criteria apply to both adult and pediatric patients.
3 True/False Questions
Impaired glucose tolerance → 2hrs after 75g glucose load. Correlates to values between 140 and 199mg/dL. Value of less than 140mg/dL are considered normal.
Fasting Plasma Glucose (FPG) Assay → Fast for at least 8hrs. FPG result less than 110 mg/dL is normal, between 110 and 125 mg/dL imply impaired fasting glucose (IFG), values greater than or equal to 126 mg/dL indicate DM.
Two Hour Posprandial Plasma Glucose (2-H PP) → Irrespective of last meal or time of day. Glucose result of 200mg/dL or greater in presence of symptoms is presumptive of DM.