← Inside Earth Ch. 1 Test
Inside Earth Ch. 1
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- rift valley
- convergent boundary
- scientific theory
- a A dark, dense, igneous rock with a fine texture, found in oceanic crust.
- b A plate boundary where two plates move toward each other.
- c A well-tested concept that explains a wide range of observations.
- d A deep valley that forms where two plates move apart.
- e The process by which oceanic crust sinks beneath a deep-ocean trench ande back into the mantle at a convergent plate boundary.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The name of the single landmass that broke apart 200 million years ago and gave rise to today's continents.
- A trace of an ancient organism that has been preserved in rock.
- The transfer of energy through space.
- A dense sphere of solid iron and nickel at the center of Earth.
- The process by which molten material adds new oceanic crust to the ocean floor.
5 True/False Questions
continental drift → The transfer of heat by movement of a fluid.
crust → The layer of rock that forms Earth's outer surface.
plate tectonics → A section of the lithosphere that slowly moves over the asthenosphere, carrying pieces of continental and oceanic crust.
lithosphere → The soft layer of the mantle on which the lithosphere floats.
convection current → The movement of a fluid, caused by differences in temperature, that transfers heat from one part of the fluid to another.