← Section 8 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Red Scare
- Boxer Rebellion
- Food Administration
- Schenk v. United States
- Roosevelt Corollary to the Monroe Doctrine
- a Supreme Court case which said freedom of speech could be revoked if it posed "a clear and present danger" to the nation
- b Roosevelt's 1904 extension of the Monroe Doctrine, stating that the United States has the right to protect its economic interests in South And Central America by using military force
- c This government agency was headed by Herbert Hoover and was established to increase the production of food and ration food for the military.
- d Intense fear of communism and other politically radical ideas. Boshevik Revolution in Russia
- e A 1900 Uprising in China aimed at ending foreign influence in the country.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Mckinely agreed to treaty of annexation with representatives of Republic of Hawaii, Later added to US. Territory
- Great Britain, France, Russia
- the treaty imposed on Germany by the Allied powers in 1920 after the end of World War I which demanded exorbitant reparations from the Germans
- The works of all these boards was coordinated by the government's central way agency, the War Industries Board (WIB). Its director, Wall Street investor Bernard Baruch, had overall responsibility for allocating scarce materials, establishing production priorities, and setting prices.
- Senators who opposed the Treaty of Versailles were divided into 2 groups. Irreconcilables would not accept U.S. membership in the league of Nations. Reservations said they could accept the League if certain restrictions were added.
5 True/False Questions
Central Powers → Great Britain, France, Russia
Alfred Thaver Mahan → President of Naval War College. Author of The Influence of Sea Power Upon History. He argued that national greatness and prosperity came from sea power. Modern country should have strong navy, a strong merchant marine, foreign commerce, and naval bases.
Great Migration of African Americans → over 400,000 African Americans took advantage of the opportunities of open jobs and moved North
Treaty of Paris 1898 → The treaty that concluded the Spanish American War, Commissioners from the U.S. were sent to Paris on October 1, 1898 to produce a treaty that would bring an end to the war with Spain after six months of hostilitiy. From the treaty America got Guam, Puerto Rico and they paid 20 million dollars for the Philipines. Cuba was freed from Spain.
Espionage and Sedition acts → two laws, enacted in 1917 and 1918, that imposed harsh penalties on anyone interfering with or speaking against U.S. participation in WWI