How did the Berlin Blockade of 1949 worry western European leaders?
1. They thought that if the USSR invaded with their superior numbers they would be swamped.
2. The USA could only help so much because they were across the Atlantic.
What did the British Foreign minister, Ernest BEvin, do after 10 days of the Berlin Airlift?
1. Opened talks with the USA about a transatlantic defence treaty.
2. In 1949 the NOrth Atlantic Treaty Organisation (NATO) was set up.
3. Its original members were, teh USA, Britain, France, Belgium, Holland, Iceland, Luxenbourg, Italy, Norway, Denmark and Portugal.
4. It expanded to allow in Greece, turkey and West Germany.
What did the members of NATO agree to do?
1. To go to war if one of them was attacked.
2. After 1950, it was set up a unified command in Paris.
What was the purpose of NATO?
1. To allow European and the US forces to join together as a deterrent to the spread of communism.
2. It gave the USA a permanent base in Europe.
3. Showed the USA had a lasting commitment ot the defence of Europe.
How did Stalin react to the setting up of NATO?
1. He saw it as an act of war.
2. He speeded up the Russian nuclear bomb programme.
3. He even discussed with eastern European allies about starting a war in Europe before the USA became too strong.