5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Simple Lipids
- Protein Properties
- Southern Hybridization
- a Allosteric proteins- dual affinity (hemoglobin); denaturation and re-naturation of proteins; enzymatic activity (catalysts)- apo enzyme and holo enzyme; lowering of activation energy; E+S <-> [ES]-> Product + Enzyme
- b Fats or triglycerides= glycerol plus one or more fatty acids.
- c N-acetyl neuraminic acid; important sugar acids in bacterial cell walls.
- d diagnostic technique; denature and add a known fluoresced DNA. Don't have to know base structure.
- e all hydrocarbons have CH2 units (bad for health); animals
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Mostly single stranded; uracil in place of thymidine; mRNA; rRNA, tRNA
- fats; long complex hydrocarbon chains; triglycerides, phospholipids in membranes, steroids like cholesterol; are non polar; function in energy storage and the structure of membranes; CH3(CH2)nCOOH n=14-22
- End-product allosterically inhibits the action of first enzyme in pathway. prevents cell from wasting resources.
- occupy the active site
- an aggregation of two or more individual polypeptide chains; polymerase- polymeric heteromeric; hemoglobin- homomeric 4 subunits.
5 True/False Questions
Tertiary → the actual sequence of the amino acids
Macromolecules → nucleus, mitochondria, golgi bodies, chloroplasts
SImple Proteins → contains only amino acids
Hybridization → can be done with RNA or ssDNA
Nucleoside → Sugar + Base