5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Pineal Body
- Posterior pituitary
- Thyroid gland
- Hormonal regulation soon after a meal
- a One of largest endocrine glands. Composed to two lobes connected by isthmus. Highly vascular. Composed of follicles. Parafollicular cells secrete calcitonin which reduces calcium concentration in body fluids when levels elevated
- b Blood glucose levels, including amino acids and fatty acids, increase. Taken up into cells.. Parasympathetic stimulation and increasing blood glucose levels cause increased insulin secretion from pancreas. Nutrients move into cells.
- c an extension of the nervous system and is called the neurohypophysis, continuous with the brain, secretes neurohormones
- d In epithalamus. Produces Melatonin- enhances sleep, immune response. and Arginine Vasotocin- regulates function of reproductive system in some animals
- e Zona glomerulosa, Aldosterone produced in greatest amounts causes increased rate of sodium reabsorption by kidneys increasing sodium levels in the blood
5 Multiple choice questions
- Epinephrine- (increases blood glucose levels, fat breakdown in adipose tissue releasing fatty acids into the blood) and norepinephrine. Both increase heart rate and force of contraction and cause blood vessels to constrict. Prepare individual for physical activity. Short half-life.
- Cause Dwarfism, Giantism in juveniles, and Acromegaly in adults
- Anterior Pituitary. Cause fat breakdown and release of fatty acids into circulatory system
- Both GH and cortisol secretion increase. Blood glucose levels maintained!
- Female, from Gonads, Estrogen and Progesterone- uterine and mammary gland development and function, genitalia structure, sex characteristics, menstrual cycle. Inhibin- inhibits FSH secretion. Relaxin- increases flexibility of symphysis pubis and dilation of the cervix
5 True/False questions
Adrenal Cortex Hormones → Mineralocorticoids, Glucocorticoids, and Androgens
Prolactin → Posterior Pitutitary. Associated with pregnancy and birth. Promotes uterine contractions during delivery. Causes milk ejection in lactating women by stimulating smooth muscle-like cells associated with the alveoli of mammary glands. Also associated with the contraction of the smooth muscle of the uterus during menses and sexual intercourse. Stretch of the uterus, mechanical stimulation of the cervix, and stimulation of the breast nipples as in nursing stimulates oxytocin secretion. Not much is known about the effects of oxytocin in males
Glucocorticoids → Zona glomerulosa, Aldosterone produced in greatest amounts causes increased rate of sodium reabsorption by kidneys increasing sodium levels in the blood
Luteinizing hormong (LH) and Follicle-stimulating hormone (FSH) → Anterior Pituitary. Increases skin pigmentation
Pancreas → Zona reticularis, Androstenedione and testosterone. Cause the development of male secondary sexual characteristics