) As a result of a 1979 Soviet invasion, what country generated one of the world's largest refugee migrations?
3) A group of people who occupy a particular area and have a strong sense of unity based on a set of shared beliefs is a
5) Over the past half century, the number of sovereign states in the world
has increased by more than a hundred.
17) The motives of European states in establishing colonies can be summarized as all but which of the following?
8) By 1900, the British could claim all but which of the following about their empire?
Their largest colonies had become independent by then.
22) Which shape most easily fosters the establishment of effective internal communications for a smaller state?
24) A feature of the physical environment commonly used to separate states includes all but which of the following?
26) Boundaries were redrawn in much of Europe after World War I according to the
distribution of languages.
28) The problems experienced by Cyprus during the past four decades include all but which of the following?
a partition of the island by the British as part of independence
29) With the breakup of the Soviet Union, most Russians
are clustered in Russia's western regions.
30) Conflict is widespread in Africa in part because
European colonial powers drew inappropriate boundaries.
33) An increasing number of states have adopted a federal form of government primarily to
satisfy the demands of competing nationalities.
34) What was a distinctive feature of the world's superpowers between the 1940s and 1980s compared to other eras?
The number of superpowers was much lower than in the past.
37) The border between Germany and Poland established after World War II
was further west than the boundary before World War II.
40) With the end of the Cold War,
the European Union has become the world's leading economic superpower.
41) There are some extremely small states in the world that have all but which of the following characteristics?
Most are in the southern hemisphere.
42) The British created different government structures for its various colonies to
help protect the cultures in their territories.
44) Elongated states may suffer from poor internal communication and difficulty defending its borders. Which of the following is not an elongated state?
45) Terrorism differs from assassinations and other acts of political violence
because attacks are aimed at ordinary people.
51) Large size is an asset for a state because it is able to do all but which of the following?
guard borders from invasion more easily
52) Among the Azerbaijanis, Armenians, and Kurds, the Azerbaijanis are the only group that
speak an Altaic language
53)Fragmented states are discontinuous, separated by water or another state. Which of the following fragmented states has recently faced war because of fragmentation?
54) Which of the following conditions most affects the ability of some countries to participate in the global economy?
55) Which colonial state practiced assimilation and the teaching of the mother country's language for its colonies?
58) Which method did Argentina and Chile use to solve their boundary location dispute?
Connected mountain peak to mountain peak
64) The term "nation" refers to a political structure, while the term "state" refers to a people.
65) Language and religion are two significant characteristics which distinguish among nationalities.
70) The boundary between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is a good example of a physical boundary.
76) Osama bin Laden declared war on the United States in 1996, because of United States support of Saudi Arabia and Israel.
77) Terrorist consider all U.S. citizens justified targets because all U.S. citizens are responsible for U.S. government policies and cultural practices.
80) Despite being the world's largest country, Russia lacks many resources essential for industrial development.
81) A state is an area organized into a political unit, ruled by an established government, but has no control over its foreign affair.
84) A city-state is an independent, sovereign state that comprises a town and its surrounding hinterland.
86) Colonialism is an effort by one country to establish settlements and impose its political, economic, and cultural principles on an alien people.
90) Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Marshall Islands are all colonies of the United States.
93) A river boundary between Mexico and the United States shifted, causing problems for both countries.
95) The militant cry of "fifty-four forty or fight" referred to the amount of money trappers had to have from the English for their beaver pelts.
97) Even though each nationality in the Caucasus has a long-standing and complex set of grievances against others in the region, from a political geography perspective, each nationality there has the same aspiration for its own sovereign nation-state.
104) According to Rubenstein, Western Europe's most important economic organization is the European Union.
104) Of the three types of migration factors, political factors have been the most important push factor for emigration from Afghanistan during the 1980s.
105) Many countries are moving from unitary to federal or even federation forms of government to protect the rights of nationalities and place more power at governmental levels closest to the people.
106) A country with more than one million inhabitants that is not a member of the United Nations is China.
108) Four countries that were part of Yugoslavia until the early 1990s were Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, and Slovenia.
109) The unique transportation problem landlocked states face if they wish to export their raw materials overseas is that they must ship everything by air.
110) Since the 19th century, the goal of world political leaders has been to establish the boundaries of states according to the principle that boundaries of states should match those of nationalities.