) As a result of a 1979 Soviet invasion, what country generated one of the world's largest refugee migrations?
2) An area organized into an independent political unit is a
3) A group of people who occupy a particular area and have a strong sense of unity based on a set of shared beliefs is a
4) A state with control over its internal affairs has
5) Over the past half century, the number of sovereign states in the world
has increased by more than a hundred.
6) The world's largest state is
7) Korea is a good example of a
nation divided between more than one state.
8) Two cities in Morocco, Ceuta and Melilla, are controlled by what country?
1) The only large land mass not part of a sovereign state is
12) The first states in ancient Mesopotamia
13) Political unity in the ancient Mediterranean world reached its height in
the Roman Empire.
14) A territory tied to a state rather than being completely independent is a
15) The first widespread use of the nation-state concept came in
16) The attempt by one country to impose
17) The motives of European states in establishing colonies can be summarized as all but which of the following?
8) By 1900, the British could claim all but which of the following about their empire?
Their largest colonies had become independent by then.
19) The world's smallest colony is
20) A state is a good example of
an organized region.
21) A frontier, in contrast to a boundary,
is an area rather than a line.
22) Which shape most easily fosters the establishment of effective internal communications for a smaller state?
24) A feature of the physical environment commonly used to separate states includes all but which of the following?
26) Boundaries were redrawn in much of Europe after World War I according to the
distribution of languages.
27) The Aozou Strip is a good example of a
28) The problems experienced by Cyprus during the past four decades include all but which of the following?
a partition of the island by the British as part of independence
29) With the breakup of the Soviet Union, most Russians
are clustered in Russia's western regions.
30) Conflict is widespread in Africa in part because
European colonial powers drew inappropriate boundaries.
31) The Kurds are a
nationality divided among more than one state.
32) In 2002 the Organization of African Unity was replaced by
the African Union.
33) An increasing number of states have adopted a federal form of government primarily to
satisfy the demands of competing nationalities.
34) What was a distinctive feature of the world's superpowers between the 1940s and 1980s compared to other eras?
The number of superpowers was much lower than in the past.
35) A state which places most power in the hands of a central government is a
36) After the fall of communism, Poland
delegated more authority to local governments.
37) The border between Germany and Poland established after World War II
was further west than the boundary before World War II.
38) Which of the following is not a member of the United Nations?
39) The European Union has
promoted economic growth in Western Europe.
40) With the end of the Cold War,
the European Union has become the world's leading economic superpower.
41) There are some extremely small states in the world that have all but which of the following characteristics?
Most are in the southern hemisphere.
42) The British created different government structures for its various colonies to
help protect the cultures in their territories.
43) The most populous colony is ruled by
the United States.
44) Elongated states may suffer from poor internal communication and difficulty defending its borders. Which of the following is not an elongated state?
45) Terrorism differs from assassinations and other acts of political violence
because attacks are aimed at ordinary people.
46) Which of the following is not true of al-Qaeda.
Al-Qaeda is a single unified organization.
47) Cultural boundaries include all but which of the following?
49) The United Nations is primarily what kind of cooperative effort?
50) NAFTA is primarily what kind of cooperative effort?
51) Large size is an asset for a state because it is able to do all but which of the following?
guard borders from invasion more easily
52) Among the Azerbaijanis, Armenians, and Kurds, the Azerbaijanis are the only group that
speak an Altaic language
53)Fragmented states are discontinuous, separated by water or another state. Which of the following fragmented states has recently faced war because of fragmentation?
54) Which of the following conditions most affects the ability of some countries to participate in the global economy?
55) Which colonial state practiced assimilation and the teaching of the mother country's language for its colonies?
56) Prorupted states provide
57) Which continent has the most landlocked states?
58) Which method did Argentina and Chile use to solve their boundary location dispute?
Connected mountain peak to mountain peak
60) Select the group that is not a supranational organization
62) Which colonial state practiced local rule and protection of local language and customs?
64) The term "nation" refers to a political structure, while the term "state" refers to a people.
65) Language and religion are two significant characteristics which distinguish among nationalities.
66) Slovenia is a good example of a nation-state.
67) Mass communications is a powerful centripetal force in the modern state.
68) Physical boundaries are more natural than cultural boundaries.
66) Argentina and Chile are separated by one type of physical boundary, a desert.
69) Russia is a member of the European Union.
70) The boundary between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland is a good example of a physical boundary.
71) The Kurds are a good example of a multinational state.
72) South Africa is a good example of a landlocked state.
73) Yugoslavia was a good example of a federal state.
74) The nation-state concept originated and has been used most extensively in modern Europe.
76) Osama bin Laden declared war on the United States in 1996, because of United States support of Saudi Arabia and Israel.
77) Terrorist consider all U.S. citizens justified targets because all U.S. citizens are responsible for U.S. government policies and cultural practices.
78) Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) is a good example of a compact state.
79) A large percentage of the world's states belong to the nonaligned movement.
80) Despite being the world's largest country, Russia lacks many resources essential for industrial development.
81) A state is an area organized into a political unit, ruled by an established government, but has no control over its foreign affair.
82) Sovereignty means a state has complete control over all of its affairs.
83) Development of states is traced to the Fertile Crescent in the Middle East.
84) A city-state is an independent, sovereign state that comprises a town and its surrounding hinterland.
85) Germany and Italy did not become states until 1817.
86) Colonialism is an effort by one country to establish settlements and impose its political, economic, and cultural principles on an alien people.
87) Imperialism is based on an unequal territorial relationship, usually between states.
88) The United States has never practiced imperialism.
89) The colonial era began in the 1400s.
90) Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, and the Marshall Islands are all colonies of the United States.
91) A frontier is a land area whereas a boundary is a political invention.
92) Physical boundaries consist of mountains, language, and water.
93) A river boundary between Mexico and the United States shifted, causing problems for both countries.
94) The boundary between the United States and Canada is known as a geometric boundary.
95) The militant cry of "fifty-four forty or fight" referred to the amount of money trappers had to have from the English for their beaver pelts.
96) The Caucasus separated Russia from Azerbaijan and Georgia.
97) Even though each nationality in the Caucasus has a long-standing and complex set of grievances against others in the region, from a political geography perspective, each nationality there has the same aspiration for its own sovereign nation-state.
98) A unitary state allocates strong power to local governments within the country.
99) A federal state places most power in the hands of a central government.
100) In recent years there has been a strong global trend toward federal government.
101) France is a good example of a unitary state.
102) The United States was never a colonial power.
103) Most Iraqis have stronger loyalty to a tribe or clan than to a national government.
104) According to Rubenstein, Western Europe's most important economic organization is the European Union.
104) Of the three types of migration factors, political factors have been the most important push factor for emigration from Afghanistan during the 1980s.
105) Many countries are moving from unitary to federal or even federation forms of government to protect the rights of nationalities and place more power at governmental levels closest to the people.
106) A country with more than one million inhabitants that is not a member of the United Nations is China.
107) Most of South Africa's whites emigrated from Europe from Great Britain and Sweden.
108) Four countries that were part of Yugoslavia until the early 1990s were Bosnia, Croatia, Macedonia, and Slovenia.
109) The unique transportation problem landlocked states face if they wish to export their raw materials overseas is that they must ship everything by air.
110) Since the 19th century, the goal of world political leaders has been to establish the boundaries of states according to the principle that boundaries of states should match those of nationalities.
111) The two main nationalities on the island of Cyprus are Turkish and Russian.
75) Most Iraqis have stronger loyalty to a tribe or clan than to a national government. *