← EDU 2103 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Conservative Calvinists because Mann wanted to make the schools non-denominational. More parochial conflict from the Boston school masters because they thought Mann's Seventh Annual Report was aimed at them criticizing their teaching methods, especially recitation and corporal punishment. The third group in opposition was more broadly based and was concerned with the ideological and political implications of his approach.
- school buildings, moral issues, lessons from the prussian school system, school discipline,quality of teachers, economic value of schooling
- you have to have training before education, training connotes improved ability to do something while education is an intellectual and spiritual education
- republican view
- a What were mann's six concerns as the state of secretary of education in Massachusetts?
- b Which three groups opposed Mann's common school? Why?
- c what is the relationship between training and education?
- d a set of experiences provided to some organism(human or not) in an attempt to render its responses predictable according to the goals of the trainer
- e love of country, austere lifestyle, probity, strict observance of moral value and willingness to sacrifice profit for common good. Virtue consisted of fulfilling one's duties to god, to nature and work ethic- the view of the liberalists
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- What was the most profound political fact of Jeffersons time?
- Why was the concept of the "frontier" important during Jefferson's time?
- What was the primary goal of the volkschule?
- What ethnic group was responsible for the creation of parochial schools? Why?
- What concerns was Horace Mann addressing when he developed the common school concept?
5 True/False Questions
"the universe is a machine" the westerns worlds view changed in its view of nature → A way of life that developed independence, perseverance, industry, self sufficiency and strength
men could involve themselves in the exterior sphere such as politics while the women teneded the interior, slaves worked the land → Why does Columbia University claim that it is important for teachers to understand the relationship between society and education
shows the relationship between american society and public schools by examining three of the six analytic terms, political, ideology, economy, and schooling → describe the analytic framework that is shown throughout the book
freedom → view of the liberalists- the perfectability of men and his prospect of his future progress, through human reason and virtue, both the human individual and society can continually progress towards perfectablilty
Ideology as false belief, ideology as a universal condition that underlies social understanding → What are the two interpretations of ideology?