5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- INDUCED ABORTION
- TYPE 2 DIABETES
- a A reproductive cell; that is, a sperm or ovum that can produce a new individual if it combines with a gamete from the other sex to make a zygote.
- b The observable characteristics of a person, including appearance, personality, intelligence, and all other traits.
- c A chronic disease in which the body does not produce enough insulin to adequately metabolize carbohydrates (glucose). It was once called adult-onset diabetes because it typically developed in people aged 50 to 60; today, however, it often appears in younger people.
- d Having a condition (mosaicism) that involves having a mixture of cells, some normal and some with an odd number of chromosomes or a series of missing genes.
- e The intentional termination of a pregnancy.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- An organism that is produced from another organism through artificial replication of cells and is genetically identical to that organism.
- A person who genotype includes a gene that is not expressed in the phenotype. Such an unexpressed gene occurs in half of the carrier's gametes and thus is passed on to half of the carrier's children, who will most likely be carriers, too. Generally, only when the gene is inherited from both parents does the characteristic appear in the phenotype.
- A section of a chromosome and the basic until for the transmission of heredity, consisting of a string of chemicals that code for the manufacture of certain proteins.
- The full set of genes that are the instructions to make an individual member of a certain species.
- Consultation and testing by trained experts that enable individuals to learn about their genetic heritage, including harmful conditions that they might pass along to any children they may have.
5 True/False Questions
IN VITRO FERTILIZATION → Fertilization that takes place outside of a woman's body (as in a petri dish.) Sperm are mixed with ova that have been surgically removed from the woman's ovary. If the combination produces a zygote, it is inserted into the woman's uterus, where it may implant and develop into a baby.
ALLELE → An organism that is produced from another organism through artificial replication of cells and is genetically identical to that organism.
DNA (DEOXYRIBONUCLEIC ACID) → The molecule that contains the chemical instructions for cells to manufacture various proteins.
PHENYLKETONURIA (PKY) → The observable characteristics of a person, including appearance, personality, intelligence, and all other traits.
HUMAN GENOME PROJECT → An international effort to map the complete human genetic code. This effort was essentially completed in 2001, though analysis is ongoing.