5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Interpersonal communication is
- Communication is governed by rules
- Masculine culture
- Uncertainty - accepting culture
- a values traditionally masculine characteristics, such as ambition and achievement
- b open to novel situations; accepting of people whose ideas and behaviors are different from one's own
- c Communication that occurs between two people within the context of their relationship and that, as it evolves, helps them negotiate and define their relationship.
IPC is pervasive
IPC can improve our relationships
IPC can improve our health
- d Explicit rules - rule about behavior that has been clearly articulated.
Implicit rules - rule about behavior that has not been clearly articulated but is nonetheless understood.
- e A three-part process:
Identify a group we believe someone belongs
Recall some generalization about that group
Apply the generalization to that person
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A source formulates an idea
The source encodes the idea in the form of a message
The message is sent through a communication channel
A receiver decodes the message
Interpretation is affected by noise
- selection, organization, interpretation
- Includes all elements of the Interaction Model, and also suggests that:
Both parties in conversation are simultaneously senders and receivers
Communication flows in both directions at once
- believes verbal communication should often be indirect.
relies heavily on nonverbal cues
5 True/False Questions
Attributions → the tendency to attribute a range of behaviors to a single characteristic of a person.
Three attribution errors are common: → Locus: is the cause internal or external?
Stability: is the cause stable?
Controllability: is the cause controllable?
Perception → the ongoing process of making meaning from what we experience in our environment
factors affecting selection → How unusual or unexpected the stimulus is
Frequency of exposure to stimulus
Intensity of stimulus
Negativity bias → is the tendency to view information in an overly pessimistic way