Whereas XML is limited to describing how data should be presented in the form of Web pages, HTML can perform presentation, communication, and data storage tasks
A client computer networked to a server computer, with processing split between the two types of machines, is called a
1) service-oriented architecture
2) on-demand architecture
3) multi-tiered client/server architecture
4) two-tiered client /server architecture
two-tiered client/server architecture
Which of the following factors provides an understanding of why computing resources today are ever more available than in previous decades?
1) network economics
2) law of mass digital storage and Moore's law
3) declining communications costs, universal standards, and the internet
4) all of these
all of these
Your firm needs to implement electronic timesheet software and needs to keep within a small budget. Which of the following would be the most costly method of implementing this new software?
1) purchasing a software package
2) programming the new software in-house
3) leasing the software over the internet
4) outsourcing the software programming to an overseas vendor
programming the new software in house
Which of the following is not one of the main six factors to consider when evaluating how much your firm should spend on IT infrastructure?
1) your firm's business strategy
2) the IT investments made by competitor firms
3) market demand for your firm's services
4) your firm's organizational culture
your firm's organizational culture
In two-tiered client/server architecture, the processing is split between two types of servers.
The multitasking, multi-user, operating system developed by Bell Laboratories that operates on a wide variety of computing platforms is
3) OS X
In a multi-tiered network
1) the work of the entire network is centralized
2) the work of the entire network is balanced over several levels of servers.
3) processing is split between clients and servers
4) processing is handled by multiple, geographically remote clients
the work of the entire network is balanced over several levels of servers
Interpretations of Moore's law assert that
1) computing power doubles every 18 months
2) transistors decrease in size 50% every two years
3) data storage costs decrease by 50% every 18 months
4) none of these
computing power doubles every 18 months
Application server software is responsible for locating and managing stored Web pages
Hardware and software acquisition costs account for about _______ percent of TCO
Place the following eras of IT infrastructure evolution in order, from earliest to most recent: (1) Cloud Computing Era (2) Client/Sever, (3) Enterprise Era, (4) Personal Computer, and (5) Mainframe and Minicomputer.
1) 4, 5, 3, 2, 1
2) 5, 4, 2, 3, 1
3) 4, 5, 2, 3, 1
4) 5, 4, 2, 1, 3
4, 5, 3, 2, 1
The mainframe market has grown steadily over the past decade
Which model can be used to analyze the direct and indirect costs to help firms determine the actual cost of specific technology implementations?
1) total cost of ownership
2) return on investment
3) break-even point
4) cost benefit analysis
total cost of ownership
Which of the following is a technique used to allow users to interact with a Web page without having to wait for the Web server to reload the Web page?
Which type of infrastructure services provides voice and video connectivity to employees, customers, and suppliers?
Which of the following is NOT an example of the new mobile digital computing platforms?
2) digital e-book readers
3) cell phones
What is the foundation technology for Web services
Like an ASP, a Web hosting service provides shared applications to subscribed users but does this through a Web portal.
Java software is designed to run on any computer or computing device, regardless of the specific microprocessor or operating system it uses.
A set of self-contained services that communicate with each other to create a working software application is called:
1) Web services
2) EAI software
Which type of software is created and updated by a worldwide community of programmers and available for free
1) software package's
4) open source
The collection of Web services that are used to build a firm's software systems constitutes what is known as a service-oriented architecture
Which of the following is NOT an IT infrastructure service component?
1) operating system software
2) computing platforms to provide a coherent digital environment
3) physical facility management to manage the facilities housing physical components
4) IT management services to plan and develop the infrastructure and provide project management
operating system software
SaaS refers to
1) supplying online access over networks to storage devices and storage area network technology
2) managing combination's of applications, networks, systems, storage, and security as well as providing Web site and systems performance monitoring to subscribers over the internet
3) hosting and managing access to software applications delivered over the internet to clients on a subscription basis
4) none of these
hosting and managing access to software application delivered over the internet to clients on a subscription basis
Which of the following is an example of an SOA environment
1) Amazon.com's operation of hundreds of services, such as billing or customer interface, delivered by different application servers
2) E*Trade's use of lower-cost Linux servers that delivered increased computer performance
3) Thermos's use of hosted Oracle systems software running Oracle's computers
4) none of these
Amazon.com's operation of hundreds of services, such as billing or customer interface, delivered by different application servers
The introduction of the minicomputer
1) allowed computers to be customized to the specific needs of departments or business units
2) enabled decentralized computing
3) offered new, powerful machines at lower prices than mainframes.
4) all of these
all of these
Running a Java program on a computer requires
1) a Java Virtual Machine to be installed on the computer
2) a Java Virtual Machine to be installed on the server hosting the Java applet
3) a miniature program to be downloaded to the user's computer
4) no specialized software, as Java is platform-independent
a Java Virtual Machine to be installed on the computer
Enterprise integration requires software that can link disparate applications and enable data to flow freely among different parts of the business
Connecting geographically remote computers in a single network to create a "virtual supercomputer" is called
2) edge computing
3) grid computing
4) utility computing