5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- The phonics objective of beginning reading instruction should include 4 elements. Name them.
- Is book a morpheme?
- Semantics is:
- Name 3 characteristics of the emergent reader.
- Explicit phonics programs ...
- a Yes.
- b ... provide teachers with
precise directions for teaching
- c The analysis and study of
words, phrases, and sentences.
- d Phonics:
* Phonemic awareness
* Phonemic blending
* Phonemic decoding
- e 1. Beginning awareness that
text progresses L --> R
3. Recognition of visual clues in environmental print
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- 1. Letters are associated with sounds
2. Begin to read simple CVC words
3. Writing simple CVC words evolves to CVC
- ... syllables.
- * Hear
the phonemes in spoken words
- For beginning readers, writing simple CVC words evolves from C to CC to CVC.
5 True/False Questions
There are 6 objectives for reading instruction for remedial readers. Name the second 3. → 1. Assessment of identified reading weakness (diagnosis)
2. Teaching explicit strategies based on diagnosis
3. Linking instruction to prior knowledge
T/F: Approximately 2 years of phonics instruction is sufficient for most students. → With reading instruction the child should begin basic phonemic awareness:
1. Begin to recognize print in the environment
2. Begin to recognize letter shapes
3. Begin to make predictions in stories
4. Pretend to read
Will the development of early reading skills allow children to gain opportunities for future learning possibilities? → Yes.
Remedial readers are identified in what grade? → 4th to 8th.
Beginning readers are often in what age range? → Early childhood to pre-K.