5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Can you lie to yourself?
- Sapir - Whorf Hypothesis:
- denotative meaning
- use of smell
- a the perception that the quality of the relationship is being threatened by a third party
- b ...
- c Two phenomena central to how we communicate are profoundly affected by smell:
- sexual attraction
- d the idea that language influences the ways members of a culture see the world.
- e literal meaning (look up)
5 Multiple choice questions
- communication comprises those behaviors and characteristics that convey meaning without words.
- a feeling, often prolonged that has no identifiable cause
- -nonverbal channels are the various behavioral forms that nonverbal communication takes
-channels rely on our five senses: seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling, tasting
- the mind and body's reaction to perceived danger.
- many differences between societies and cultures are reflected in the way they use the language
5 True/False questions
The meaning of words is mostly arbitrary → joyful and affectionate
sad and anxious
Credibility → acting like you are not feeling an emotion when you really are
deception: → acting like you are feeling an emotion
euphemisms → are vague, mild expressions symbolizing something more harsh or blunt
- can provide a way to talk about sensitive topics
- can desensitize people to important issues
valence: → the positivity or negativity of an emotion