5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Chinese Exclusion Act
- 4 Steps to protecting a nation
- Burlingame Treaty
- a A City in India that the English India Company ruled out of.
- b 1. Modernization>Militarization: trade of arms + Industrialization: trade/build railways and steamships
3. Self Strengthening: through nationalism, pride, stories and learning
4: Strong Gov.
- c in 1882, No more migration of Chinese for 20 years. Those in the US had to carry passports and Chinese could no longer gain US citizenship.
- d in 1868 US allowed Chinese to come in and be granted Equal privileges
- e First and last foreign colony in China that was first settled by the Portuguese and overseen by them, used for trading and other business.
5 Multiple choice questions
- In 1840, Treaty of Nanjing gave Hong Kong to Britain and broke up China's restrictions on foreign trade by opening new treaty ports. It also exempted foreigners from Chinese law and gave Britain any privileges that any other European nation might gain in the future.
- 1839-1842, 1856-1860. Happened because there was a growth in population while economy dropped. Silver market fell. Everyone buyed their way into their jobs. The Gov raises taxes, and pirates rose up in the south, the grand canal closed in 1849 so many families lost jobs
- Rulers of India who starved and got owned by the British
- Heilongjiang River, Liaohe River, Sungari River, Hanjiang River, Yangtze River, Yellow River, Nujiang River, Brahmaputra River, Lancang River, Pearl River
- Trading port called Deshima traded with China, Philippines and America, but in the beginning only the Dutch
5 True/False questions
Hong Xiuguan → Born Jan 1, 1814 in Southern Guangdong. was educated but didn't do well on exams. Founder of the Kingdom of heavenly peace. He found a translated pamphlet for Christianity and converted. he gathered 52 minority groups throughout China including the fujian, fukien, and hakka.
Ming Dynasty → rose 1644-1911. The Manchuus Ruled.
Malacca → A small part of Malaysia.
Filial Piety → The area where the British fought the Indians and French 4400 to 50,000 and won.
Great Enterprise → Located in Northern India to the left of the bay of Bengul. They began to decline in 1757. After the british won the Battle of Plassey, Princes and princesses were starving prisoners in the Taj Mahal and Red fort. In 1788 the empire was attacked and many in the red fort were killed.