5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Doctor (doctor physica)
- Bologna curricula (1405)
- St. Theodore of Sykeon
- a ...
- b by this time frame, Methodist not around
- c Someone who teachers, doctor of natural philosophy
- d Theodore makes signs of cross then prayer before curing anyone, not much in regards for medical implements
- e Bologna curricula (1405) p.198-199
5 Multiple choice questions
- Were told that they violated the commandment; wasn't valid since Hippocratic Oath was created so long ago.
• Nazi doctors experimenting on Jewish people
o Nuremberg code (1947) - no more human experimentation
- • Canon of texts from Hippocrates and Galen read in order
- Life and Virtues of St. Martin, Bishop of Tours
- comes across as idea of experience through the writers eyes.
- go to certain Saints for healings, treated for specific disease.
5 True/False questions
Liberal arts in late antiquity and medieval time → grammar, dialectic, rhetoric, geometry, arithmetic, astronomy, and music
o Art of the free people
Categorical interpretation of the Oath (Postmodern Heptalogue) → it's an oath (invocation, promise, punishment)
o invocation - swearing in, called upon the witness
o Promise - by person who swears oath, what you're going to do; treat master's sons and brothers,e ducate them as his own and will not teach anyone who has not sworn oath
• Some prohibitions, also some positives
• Never cut a person open
• Don't harm patients
• Overall conduct
• Respect the house, respect property
• In regard to respect, you can't have sex with patients, etc
• In regard to confidentiality, you gotta keep things to yourself and not tell patients.
o The punishment - for doing it is a curse.
o Erasmus of Rotterdam (1466 - 1536)
o Philipp Melanchthon (1497 - 1560)
• These two were faces of humanism in the renaissance
• Start to discuss the oath itself with students, don't make them take it however.
Ordinary and Extraordinary lectures → o By a person who is essentially a professor of that university
o A minor lecture
• One in the morning, then evening
• Read parts of the text
• Very ordered and structured
• Medicine is a 4 year program at the time
Medical education → ...
Natural philosophy, logic and moral philosophy → o Study of Nature, natural philosophy, seeing elements and humors and how the body works
o Ethics - practicing the art for the sake of the art itself not money
• Like Hippocrates - no money
• Puts best good foward
o Philosophy - natural philosophy, both the physician and philosopher have a common bond; logic and ethics are necessary to know in order to be a philosopher