5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- King of the Franks
- Feudal Contract
- Charles Martel
- a "The Hammer." He was mayor of the palace. Caught on that the moors were now in France, wants to take care of it and organizes an army of Franks to stand up to moors. Becomes the Frankish hero and was the savior of Christendom after winning the battle of tours. When he died, his son, Pepin the short, became mayor of the palace.
- b Comes from latin word feudum. is a social and economic system based on landholding and loyalty. In the middle ages, there were no laws so people were very vulnerable and needed protection and help. "Necessity is the mother of invention" if you need it, it will most likely be created or happen.
Example: So we have a king of franks who onws all of france, his kingdom. It is a big piece of land for just him to look after so he divides it into 4 pieces and gives each piece to someone. Each of the people have recieved a fief and are now vassals. The king is their lord. It can keep going again and again. How nobility was organized.
- c A pieve of land a lord entrusts to a vassal.
- d Pepin the Short.
- e A vassal takes an oath of fealty (religious oath) and promises to be loyal to their lord and the lord also makes promises to their vassal.
Lord to Vassal obligation:
-you will have land to hold.
-you will be able to get income from that land; farm, produce, ferry.
-you will have military protection, you don't have to protect it by yourself because your lord has knights who will help out.
-you will have justice, no organized courts but lord could judge crimes or suits.
-you will have a castle. (this is why there are soo many castles.)
Vassal to lord obligations:
-will keep of the land and make sure its productive.
-will return some of his income to the lord.
-will provide knights
-will provide advice for military, court, etc.
-will pay ransom of lord is kidnapped.
-will pay dowry of lords daughter is getting married.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The subdividing of fiefs so that the vassal becomes someones lord.
- From 14 to 21, you become a squire and really learn how to become a knight; horsemanship, weaponry, fighting, and accompany the knight in to the battle,
- Made king of the franks by the pope, pope is the asserting authority. Son of Charles Martel. Keeps Frankish army to defend border, They went against the Lombards (Italians) and keeps pushing them back until they are now in control of a small portion of Italy.
- The study of Saints.
- From Scandinavia, went through europe on boats and ransacked villages.
5 True/False Questions
Spread of Islam → (843) Charlemagne's grandsons divide up his empire, Charles gets France, Louis gets Germany/Austria, and Lothair gets a thin strip through Switzerland and Italy. The result of this is that it is now separated into different new kingdoms.
Mayor of the Palace → Someone who takes care of the kingdom. Lots of people cared to be this rather then King.
Emperor of Romans → (800) Charlemagne decided to go to christian mass, walks in, kneels in front of pope and is named the emperor of the romans. This is beneficial to the Pope because they have a christian empire and he is the one who got to name the leader.
Lord → Someone who entrusts land (of fief) to a vassal.
Jews in Europe → An agricultural worker on a manor. Born and die on same manor while slaves are tied to their master.