← Ch. 19 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Red blood count (RBC)
- Differential white blood cell count
- ABO blood group
- a percentage of each of the five kinds of white blood cells in the WBC.
- b overabundance of RBC increased blood viscosity, reduced flow rates, and plugging of capillaries
- c prevent clotting; antithrombin, heparin, prostacyclin, EDTA, sodium citrate
- d number of red blood cells per microliter of blood
- e type A blood has type A antigens and Anti-B antibodies. Type B blood has type B antigens and Anti-A antibodies. Type AB has A and B antigens and no antibodies. Type O has no antigens and both A and B antibodies
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- type AB+
- Lymphocytes and Monocytes
- Liquid part of blood. Pale yellow made up of 91% water, 9% solutes. Has colloid suspension.
- Made by combination of carbon dioxide and water, which is catalyzed by the enzyme carbonic anhydrase. The reversible association -dissociation of hydrogen from carbonic acid is part of the mechanism for regulating the pH of blood. When hydrogen dissociates from carbonic acid it lowers the pH and leaves behind a bicarbonate ion. When it re-associates it raises the pH and becomes carbonic acid.
- Production of red blood cells. Stem cells form proerythroblasts which become early (basophilic erythroblasts), then intermediate (polychromatics), then late erythroblasts, extrusion of nucleus becomes reticulocytes, normally 1-3%
5 True/False Questions
Rh Blood Group → type A blood has type A antigens and Anti-B antibodies. Type B blood has type B antigens and Anti-A antibodies. Type AB has A and B antigens and no antibodies. Type O has no antigens and both A and B antibodies
Hematocrit → percentage of total blood volume composed of red blood cells. Normocytes are normal sized, microcytes are smaller than normal, macrocytes are larger than normal
Lymphocytes → Immunity, increase due to viral infection, smallest, stimulate production of antibodies
Intrinsic pathway → begins with chemicals that are inside the blood beginning common pathway
Globulins → 38% of the proteins. Involved in the immune system or as transport molecules. Protection from infection