← Quantative Methods Test
6 Written Questions
6 Multiple Choice Questions
- a variable in a functional relation whose value determines the value or values of other variable
- concept being investigated that is characterized by different attributes-male/female-class
- changes together in predictable consistent fashion
- Other variables may affect the relationship between an independent and dependent variable. A variable that directly or indirectly effects the dependent variable because of its relationship with the independent variable is what is called an mediating or intervening variable. In other words this variable serves to mediate or act as a "go between" in the relationship between the independent and dependent variable. A causal chain is created where the independent variable has an effect on the mediating variable which in turn effects the dependent variable.
- (Time Spent Studying) causes a change in (Test Score) and it isn't possible that (Test Score) could cause a change in (Time Spent Studying). We see that "Time Spent Studying" must be the independent variable and "Test Score" must be the dependent variable because the sentence doesn't make sense the other way around.
- characteristics; qualities of a person or thing
6 True/False Questions
hypothesis-should be clear-specific-value-free -testable and have more than one outcome. → a testable prediction used to see how something works or to solve a problem
Exploratory in Quantitative Methods → start as a hypothesis about something, explains a phenomenon and then test the hypothesis
Descriptive in Quantitative Methods → start as a hypothesis about something, explains a phenomenon and then test the hypothesis
Moderating Variables → A moderating variable is one that has an effect on the dependent variable, but is not related to or affected by the independent variable. Often times, as your text illustrates a moderating variable may be a categorical variable in which only one of the categories has an effect on the dependent variable such as gender, marital status or socioeconomic status. In other words the moderating variable effects the dependent variable, but it's effect is not influenced or Independent Variable Mediating Variable Dependent Variable caused by the independent variable.
Concept → a mental grouping of similar objects, events, ideas, or people
Example → concept being investigated that is characterized by different attributes-male/female-class