5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Phylogenetic species concept:
- Ancestral characteristics
- Sickle Cell And malaria
- a Characters inherited by a group of organisms from a remote ancestor and thus not diagnostic of groups (lineages) that diverged after the character first appeared.
- b loss of genetic diversity; loss of alleles in gene pool; effect can be determianl to species survival because cant mate bc too closely related; cheetahs
- c pertaining to a grouping of species derived from two or more different ancestral forms
- d Splitting many populations into separate species based on an
identifiable parental pattern of ancestry.
- e Abnormal form of hemoglobin resulting from a point mutation Unsuitable living environment for Plasmodium
Protection from Malaria
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- exchange of genes in a population
- The concept that a species is a group of
organisms exploiting a single niche.
- Diagram that shows the evolutionary relationships among a group of organisms
- Ancestors & descendants are traced in
time by analysis of homologous
5 True/False Questions
Genotype → genes carried by the individual; TT Tt and tt, genetic makeup of an organism
Intraspecific → Individual, age, & sex differences seen within every biological species
Recombination → the process by which a new species evolves from a prior species.Speciation is the most basic process in macroevolution.
Phylogenetic Tree → small populations are affected; change in allels bc of low variation; random factor in evolution; small pop = alleles rare = lost = low variation = allele frequencys not passed down therefore disappear
Monophyletic → ALL descendants came from one common ancestor