5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Nicholas Biddle
- Martin Van Buren
- John Tyler
- Preemption Law
- a Who ran for the Democrats in the Election of 1840?
- b Tyler takes over Presidency in 1840, and comes up with this law that gave priority to the squatters in the West for buying land that goes up for sale
- c Jackson hated this man, who was the President of the National Bank, because he thought that he was supporting his opponents
- d By 1834, does land speculation increase or decrease?
- e Harrison's VP (1840)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- The way Jackson destroyed the bank: withdrew money from the National Bank and deposited much of it in state banks owned by his friends
- He is selected VP for Jackson
- Running against Van Buren in the Election of 1836 are several members of which party?
- This third party who runs for Presidency felt that the secret Mason society had too much political power
- This is the #1 issue during the election
5 True/False Questions
Jackson → This man dislikes the National Bank, and destroys it; thought it favored the elite and was unconstitutional; wanted cheap money in the West to help Westerners to buy land (bank wasn't lending enough); banks were foreclosing on Westerners
1 → How many months into the Presidency did Harrison get to before dying?
Democrat → By 1834, does land speculation increase or decrease?
Liberty Party → A new political party against Jackson (key figures: Calhoun, Clay, Biddle)
Whig Party → A new political party against Jackson (key figures: Calhoun, Clay, Biddle)