5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Parkinson's law
- modernization theory
- Upward mobility
- rationalization of society
- a the historical change from tradtion to rationality as the main typer of human thought
- b is work that can be done by one person in an hour and three people in two hours. to the effect that 'work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion'
- c the experience of isolation and misery resulting from powerlessness
- d refers to someone earning a degree, landing a higher paying job, or marrying someone who has a good income
- e is a model of economic and social development that explains global inequality in terms of teachnoligical and cultural difference between nations. Max Weber
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A principle which states that employees tend to be promoted to a level above the level at which they are competent and efficient, a process which creates incompetent senior management in any organization.
- a way of thinking that emphizes deliberate, matter of fact calculation of the most efficient way to accomplish a particular task.
- cultural beliefs that justify particular social arrangements, including patterns of inequality
- is a social stratification based on ascription or birth. It is a closed system because birth alone determines a person's entire future, with little or no social mobility
- It is the amount of wealth, usually described in currency, that we produce over and above what was needed for our labor power. Marx called the surplus "s."
5 True/False Questions
dyad → a social group with two members
white collar crime → crime commited by people of high social position in the course of their occupations
proletarians → people who sell their labor wages
out-group → is a social group toward which a person feels a sense of competition and opposition.
blue collar occupations → lower-prestige jobs that involve mostly manual labor