5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- sterile gloves
- anesthesia and pt. medical history.
- Probing instruments
- Size of sutures
- fenestrated drape
- a to examine body cavities.
scopes have lights: coloscope, bronchoscope, anoscope, endoscope.
probes or sounds
- b All communication to and from pt. prior to administering anesthesia. Also MUST ask about allergies prior to administering anesthesia.
- c go on after sterile short scrub; protects you and keeps sterility
- d sterile drape with fenestration/window/hole to put over surgical site to only expose immediate area for procedure
- e From largest to smallest 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 "aught", 1-0 or 0 or one-aught, 2-0 or 00 or two-aught, 3-0 or 000 or three-aught, 4-0 or 0000 or four-aught, 5-0 or 00000 or five-aught, 6-0 or 000000 or six-aught, 7-0 or 0000000 or seven-aught. The more zeros, the smaller the gauge.
5 Multiple choice questions
- overall: smallest possible for face 7-0 ideally,
higher for joints and higher tension areas or deep sutures more like 4-0 (handout)
- amount of tension or pull, expressed in pounds that a suture strand can withstand before breaking
- silk, nylon, Dacron, cotton, stainless steel staples; used on body surface, must be removed
- face, eyelid, eyebrow, nose, lip 3-5 days
scalp 6-8 days
chest, abdomen, penis 8-10 days
ear, hand 10-14 days
back, extremities, foot, joints 12-14 days (handout)
- invasive, cutting into patient's body; surgical asepsis required
5 True/False questions
absorbable sutures → catgut, Vicryl, PDS II, used internally and are not removesd
Purpose of suturing → From largest to smallest 4, 3, 2, 1, 0 "aught", 1-0 or 0 or one-aught, 2-0 or 00 or two-aught, 3-0 or 000 or three-aught, 4-0 or 0000 or four-aught, 5-0 or 00000 or five-aught, 6-0 or 000000 or six-aught, 7-0 or 0000000 or seven-aught. The more zeros, the smaller the gauge.
minor surgical procedures done in office → suturing, cyst removal, incision and drainage of an abscess, collection of biopsies, vasectomy, arthroscopy, circumcision, teeth extraction, toenail removal, mole removal, needle biopsy, joint fluid aspiration, spinal tap, bone marrow aspiration
contusion → Signs inflammation has moved to infection: exudate, systemic heat, nausea, general malaise, function loss
Autoclave temperature for sterilization → 250-254 F or 121-123 C. Autoclave requires-heat water and pressure: 15psi, 20 minutes minimum