5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- descriptive essay
- expert testimony
- extended metaphor
- a The comparison between two things is continued beyond the first point of comparison. This extends and deepens a description.
- b a statement of the similarities among two or more people, events, ideas, etc.
- c author describes events and feelings by including images and details showing how things look, sound, smell, taste, or feel (5 senses); an essay which seeks to convey an impression about a person, place, or object
- d testimony from people who are recognized experts in their fields
- e In general, a story that ends with a happy resolution of the conflicts faced by the main character or characters, light and humorous drama with a happy ending
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- the literal, or dictionary, meaning of a word
- a reference to something literary, mythological, or historical that the author assumes the reader will recognize
- the lines spoken by characters in drama or fiction
- a daily written record of (usually personal) experiences and observations
- a long narrative poem written in elevated style which present the adventures of characters of high position and episodes that are important to the history of a race or nation
5 True/False Questions
autobiography → An account of the writer's own life.
antithesis → the juxtaposition of contrasting words or ideas to give a feeling of balance
diction → writing whose purpose is to instruct or to teach. The work is usually formal and focuses on moral or ethical concerns. This type of writing may be fiction or nonfiction that teaches a specific lesson or moral or provides a model of correct behavior or thinking.
atmosphere → a distinctive but intangible quality surrounding a person or thing
characterization → an imaginary person represented in a work of fiction (play or film or story)