5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- instrumental value
- endemic species
- domesticated species
- game species
- early successional plant species
- a Species that is found in only one area. Such species are especially vulnerable to extinction.
- b Value of an organism, species, ecosystem, or the earth's biodiversity based on its usefulness to us.
- c Type of wild animal that people hunt or fish for, for sport and recreation and sometimes for food.
- d Plant species found in the early stages of succession that (1) grow close to the ground, (2) can establish large populations quickly under harsh conditions, and (3) have short lives.
- e Wild species tamed or genetically altered by crossbreeding for use by humans for food (cattle, sheep, and food crops), pets (dogs and cats), or enjoyment (animals in zoos and plants in gardens).
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species. Lists (1) some 900 species that cannot be commercially traded as live specimens or wildlife products because they are in danger of extinction and (2) restricts international trade of 29,000 other species because they are at risk of being threatened.
- Species that migrate into an ecosystem or are deliberately or accidentally introduced into an ecosystem by humans.
- Occurs when a species disappears from a part of its range but persists elsewhere.
- Applied science of managing, analyzing, and communicating biological information.
- Process in which numerous new species evolve to fill vacant and new ecological niches in changed environments, usually after a mass extinction or mass depletion. Typically, this takes millions of years.
5 True/False Questions
rare species → Type of wild animal that people hunt or fish for, for sport and recreation and sometimes for food.
intrinsic value → Value of an organism, species, ecosystem, or the earth's biodiversity based on its usefulness to us.
wild species → Species found in the natural environment.
Endangered Species Act of 1973 → requires the federal government to protect actively each of the hundreds of species listed as endangered-regardless of the economic effect on the surrounding towns or region.
endangered species → Species that is found in only one area. Such species are especially vulnerable to extinction.