According to C.S. Lewis, what are the three alternatives for Christ's claim to be God?
Liar, Lunatic, Lord
What empirical evidence sets Christianity apart from other belief systems?
1. Unique revelation of the Jesus Christ
2. The Bible is from God
3. Fulfillment of Prophecy
4. Convicting, Convincing, Converting power of the message
5. Infinity of Revelation
6. Unity of message from different human sources
7. Transcultural appeal of the message
Name two sources that establish an early date of Scripture.
Septuagint and Dead Sea Scrolls
What is the unified theme of the Bible?
Redemption of God
What are the four qualities of inspiration?
1. Inspired guidance
2. Inspired personality
3. Inspired words
4. Inspired results
True/False: Inspiration incorporates the personality of the writer into the final product.
According to conceptual inspiration, what was inspired?
God inspired the ideas of Scripture, yet failed to direct the authors to record specific terms (facts may be nonexistent)
What does partial inspiration state?
God inspired parts of Scripture but failed to identify which part of Scripture was inspired.
What does limited inspiration state?
God inspired parts of Scripture but the inspired parts are identified
What are the five arguments for inspiration/inerrancy?
1. The Bible teaches that it is inspired/inerrant
2. Jesus affirmed inspiration/inerrancy
3. Church fathers recognized inspiration/inerrancy
4. Argument from the character of God.
5. Argument from animation or the life-giving spirit of the Scriptures.
According to the text, what is Bibliolatry?
Worship of the Bible
According to the text, what percent of the NT is quotation or allusion to the OT?
What is Textual Criticism?
Study of the Bible text
What is Lower Criticism?
Deals with actual text with a view of determining the original manuscript
What is Higher Criticism?
Dealing with the area of authorship, sources, dates and historical matters.
What four criteria determine that person is a biblical prophet?
1. He must claim his message is from God
2. Prophetic words come true
3. Message must be in line with the revealed will of God.
4. Does not lead people away from God
What are the four basic principles to guide the test of canonicity?
1. Authorship of book by an apostle or someone with a relationship with the apostle
2. Spiritual content of book indicated it was revelation in nature.
3. Universal acceptance of the book by the church
4. When a book gave evidence of being inspired by the Holy Spirit.
List four rules for literal interpretation of the Bible.
1. Historical Background
2. Authors purpose and plan
3. Author's meaning of words
5. Grammar (verb tense, position of words)