5 Written Questions
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- water expands [because water molecules are kept seperated], and becomes less dense
floats in liquid water
- atoms that have positive or negative charges
- the chemical bond that forms between two atoms when one or more electrons are transformed from one atom to anohter.
happens when the electronegatives differ
- changes temperature very slowlyare stable in response to temperature changes of the surrounding air
*when sweat evaporates, a large amount of heat is taken with it and cools your body
- tbe ability of an atom to attract an electron.
most electronegative: F, O, N
5 True/False Questions
Water as a solvent → Adhesion is the attraction between the unlike substances
demonstrates capillary action
Water -- Adhesion → ionic and polar substances dissolve in the water.
hydrophillic vs hydrophobic
Covalent Bond → when the electrons aren't shared equally
unequal distribution of charges
\electrons are closer to the atom with the greater electronegativity and produces a negative charge
Water -- Cohesion/Surface Tension → Strong cohesion [attraction between water molecules]
occurs because of hydrogen bonding
High Surface Tension -- creates a water surface that is firm enough to allow insects to walk upon it
Hydrogen bond → weak bonds between molecules
form when H+ is in a covalent bond, but is attracted to another molecule [usually with a high electronegativity] in another covalently bonded molecule