5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What led to the Russo-Japanese war? Who won?
- What did Jose Marti do in 1895?
- Who became emperor of Japan in Jan. of 1868?
- What did he call for?
- What is extraterritoriality?
- a Russia and Japan argued over Japan's presence in Manchuria. Japan offered to recognize Russia's rights in Manchuria if Russia promised to stay out of Korea and Russia refused. Japan won.
- b It was where foreigners were not subject to Chinese laws.
- c He called for the destruction of the Qing Dynasty, the abolition of private property, the creation of communal wealth to be shared, the prohibition of foot binding, free public education, and literacy for everyone.
- d Mutsuhito
- e He returned and launched a second war for Cuban independence.
5 Multiple choice questions
- The Japanese were harsh rulers, they shut down Korean newspapers, took over schools, replaced the study of Korean language and history with Japanese subjects, took away land from Koreans and gave it to Japanese settlers and forbade Koreans from starting businesses.
- Emperor Gangxu launched a sweeping program to transform China into a constitutional monarchy, guarantee civil liberties, root out corruption, remodel the education system, encourage foreign influence in China, modernize the military, and stimulate economic reforms.
- Forced China to give Hong Kong to Britain and grant extraterritoriality to British and U.S. citizens.
- 13,000 miles
- G.B's navy, Germany's army and US's power of universal education
5 True/False questions
What lands did the U.S. get as a result of the war? → Russia and Japan argued over Japan's presence in Manchuria. Japan offered to recognize Russia's rights in Manchuria if Russia promised to stay out of Korea and Russia refused. Japan won.
Why did the U.S. declare war on Spain? → Because the Spanish were imprisoning the Cubans in concentration camps but really the US had businesses in Cuba.
What did Panama give the U.S. in 1903? → 10 mile wide zone to build the canal
Who won the Spanish-American war? Why did they win? → US because the Spanish could not fight on two fronts.
What did Cuba do in 1868? Did this work? → Declared independence from Spain then fought a 10 year war and lost.