5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Joseph Lister
- Chapter 27, Section1
- Social Darwinism
- Alexander Graham Bell
- Reform Bill of 1832
- a ...
- b English surgeon who was the first to use antiseptics (1827-1912)
- c invented the telephone
- d gave representation in parliament to growing towns, eliminated "rotten boroughs", suffrage to men who owned property
- e a scientific theory of natural selection and the survival of the fittest as applied to society and used to justify imperialism and racism
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- local control over internal matters only
- They were convicted criminals sent to a penal colony.
- father of modern genetics
- a production system with machines and workers arranged so that each person performs an assigned task again and again as the item passes before him or her.
5 True/False Questions
penal colony → scientific study of behavior and mental processes
suffrage → the right to vote
What were some of the internal factors that contributed to imperialism in Africa? → 1) Europeans technical superiority. Superior arms and the steam engine.
2) Variety of languages and cultures of Africans discouraged unity among them.
3) Wars faught among ethnic groups.
Queen Victoria → 1863-1947. American businessman, founder of Ford Motor Company, father of modern assembly lines, and inventor credited with 161 patents.
Thomas Edison → self-governing nation that accepts the British monarch as head of state