5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Irish Republican Army
- Durham report
- theory of evolution
- a native people of Australia
- b In 1839, Lord Durham sent a report to Parliament that urged two major reforms. First, Upper and Lower Canada should be reunited as the Province of Canada, and British immigration should be encouraged. In this way, the French would slowly become part of the dominant English culture. Second, colonists in the provinces of Canada should be allowed to govern themselves in domestic matters.
- c An unofficial nationalist military force seeking independence for Ireland from Great Britain
- d the idea, proposed by Charles Darwin in 1859, that species of plants and animals arise by means of a process of natural selection.
- e group dedicated to draw attention to the cause of women's suffrage; advocated using violence if necessary
5 Multiple choice questions
- 1) Europeans technical superiority. Superior arms and the steam engine.
2) Variety of languages and cultures of Africans discouraged unity among them.
3) Wars faught among ethnic groups.
- A colony to which convicts are sent as an alternative to prison.
- self-governing nation that accepts the British monarch as head of state
- Italian electrical engineer known as the father of radio (1874-1937)
- A meeting from 1884-1885 at which representatives of European nations agreed on rules colonization of Africa
5 True/False questions
Dmitri Mendeleev → father of modern genetics
Henry Ford → A conflict, lasting from 1899 to 1902, in which the Boers and the British fought for control of territory in South Africa.
What are the main countries to which the Irish emigrated during the famine? → United States, Britain, Canada and Austrailia.
Catholic Emancipation act → Inventor of lightbulb, phonograph and numerous other innovations
Dreyfus affair → A conflict, lasting from 1899 to 1902, in which the Boers and the British fought for control of territory in South Africa.