5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Dmitri Mendeleev
- Sigmund Freud
- What was unusual about the first European settlers in Australia?
- Berlin Conference
- Why did the Europeans control such a small portion of Africa in the 1800's?
- a A meeting from 1884-1885 at which representatives of European nations agreed on rules colonization of Africa
- b Because powerful African armies prevented them from taking over more of Africa.
- c Austrian neurologist who originated psychoanalysis (1856-1939)
- d They were convicted criminals sent to a penal colony.
- e Russian chemist who developed a periodic table of the chemical elements and predicted the discovery of several new elements (1834-1907)
5 Multiple choice questions
- prejudice against Jews
- group dedicated to draw attention to the cause of women's suffrage; advocated using violence if necessary
- A worldwide movement, originating in the 19th century that sought to establish and develop a Jewish nation in Palestine. Since 1948, its function has been to support the state of Israel.
- Unsuccessful attempt by British artisans and workers to gain the vote during the 1840s.
5 True/False questions
Charles Darwin → 1867-1934. Polish physicist and chemist. Pioneer in the field of radioactivity, and is the first and only person awarded the Nobel Prize in two different sciences.
Queen Victoria → Reigned from 1837-1901 and was the longest in English history. Her sense of duty, values, and moral respectability reflected the attitudes of her age, which has ever been known as the Victorian age.
Maori → Dutch settlers in South Africa. "Boers" is the Dutch word for Farmers.
suffrage → A Zulu chief in Southern Africa who used soldiers and good military organization to create a large centralized state.
racism → Belief that one racial group is superior to another