5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Commonalities Among Psychotherapies
- Humanistic Approach: Client-Centered therapy methods
- Brain stimulation
- Anti-anxiety drugs
- a Unconditional positive regard- therapist supports you no matter what
Gestalt Therapy (Empty chair dialogue)
- b Hope for demoralized people
A new perspective
Empathetic, trusting and caring relationship
- c a behavioral therapy technique in which the patient is saturated with a fear provoking stimulus until the anxiety is extinguished.
- d Electro-compulsive therapy (ECT) - delivered to depressed patients who don't respond to drugs
- e Xanax and Ativan
Works By: depressing the central nervous system
neurotransmitter involved: elevate the levels of gamma-amnimutyric acis (GABA) neurotransmitter.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Activating Event
Replace With Effective Belief
- ex: lithium carbonate
use: stabilizes people in manic episodes
can become toxic when used in excess
- exposes patients to things the fear and avoid. Through repeated exposures, anxiety lessens.
aka systematic desensitization
- plan that people make with a therapist to help them do something like get rid of a phobia
- Treats family as a system. Therapy guides family members toward positive relationships and improved communication
5 True/False questions
Light Exposure Therapy → Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)=In darker environments (winter) people might feel levels of depression
Light helps people not feel depressed.
Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing → Ex: a drug you take that makes you nauseous when paired with alcohol. Supposed to dissuade alcoholics from drinking.
Aversive conditioning → Electro-compulsive therapy (ECT) - delivered to depressed patients who don't respond to drugs
Psychoanalysis: Aims → Can't be proved of disproved
Takes a long time and is expensive
Best for people who are articulate
Atypical antipsychotic drugs → Chlorpromazine: remove a number of positive symptoms associated with schizophrenia. However, they don't get rid of that many negative symptoms.
Side effects: Parkinson's disease, Tadive Dyskinesia