5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Light Exposure Therapy
- Psychoanalysis: Criticisms
- Drug Therapies
- a Psychopharmacology is the study of drug effect
with the advent of drugs, hospitalization in mental institutions has rapidly decreased
- b prozac, Zoloft (selective serotonin re-uptake inhibitors [SSRI])
neurotransmitter involved: improve mood by increasing levels of serotonin by preventing their re-uptake
- c Can't be proved of disproved
Takes a long time and is expensive
Best for people who are articulate
- d *in EMDR therapy, the therapist attempts to unlock and reprocess previous frozen traumatic memories by waving a finger in front of the eyes of a client
*EMDR has not held up under scientific testing
- e Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD)=In darker environments (winter) people might feel levels of depression
Light helps people not feel depressed.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
Insight or Understanding
- ex: lithium carbonate
use: stabilizes people in manic episodes
can become toxic when used in excess
- Focus on the present and future: how do you feel now?
Taking responsibility for feelings and actions
- plan that people make with a therapist to help them do something like get rid of a phobia
- therapy that applies learning principles to the elimination of unwanted behaviors
5 True/False Questions
Eclectic Approach → Combines different psychotherapy techniques to suit the client.
Classical antipsychotic drugs → (clozapine (corazil)) removes negative symptoms.
can cause blood disease
Psychotherapy → Emotionally charged confiding interaction between a trained therapist and someone who suffers psychological difficulties
Flooding → a behavioral therapy technique in which the patient is saturated with a fear provoking stimulus until the anxiety is extinguished.
Ellis Rational-Emotive Behavior Therapy → Activating Event
Replace With Effective Belief