5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Paradoxical prescription/directive
- Circular questions
- Strategic Family Therapy
- The Placater
- The Congruent Communicator
- a Communication style that is characterized by agreement, apologizing, and or efforts to please.
- b Family members are asked questions that help them to think in relational terms. "What does your brother think of..."
- c Sends clear, straight messages and is genuine.
- d Techinique which involves prescribing the problem behavior.
- e Jay Haley.Consistent with Milton Erickson's work. Emphasizes change techniques over theory. Believe in the possibility of rapid change and use resistance of family members in the service of change. Communication is seen as defining relationship. Every relationship is seen as a struggle for power.
5 Multiple choice questions
- Greenberg & Johnson. View emotions and cognition as interdependent and that emotion drive interpersonal expression. Origins are emotion theory and attachment theory. Short term.
- Coalitions btwn subsystems in the family that serve a specific purpose.
- Has reference to a family in which members' identities fused.
- Redefining the family's perspective on problems as problems within the family structure.
- Occurs when family members and subsystems of the family are overly concerned and overly involved with each other resulting in minimal autonomy of functioning.
5 True/False questions
Structural Family Theory (Salvador Minuchin) → Based on the premise that all families have an underlying organization which may be adaptive or maladaptive. Therapy identifies maladaptive structural elements and makes changes in these structural elements.
Interpersonal boundaries → Meeting the family's resistance to change with warnings of the dangers implicit in change and the need to change slowly.
Report level → The stated content of the message (Have dinner on the table by 5)
Subsystems → Some part of the family - females, parents, kids etc.
Complementarity → Different beginning points may lead to the same result.