1. luster; brightness; radiance.
2. gleaming attire.
3. shining beautiful
1. to echo back or reecho (sound).
2. to cast back or reflect (light, heat, etc.).
3. to subject to reflected heat
1. urgent or persistent in solicitation, sometimes annoyingly so.
2. pertinacious, as solicitations or demands.
3. troublesome; annoying
1. to petition or oppose
2. a person who petitions or challenges
1. to compel or force, oblige
2. to restrain by or as if by force; confine
1. mournful, dismal, or gloomy, especially in an affected, exaggerated, or unrelieved manner
1. insulting display of contempt in words or actions; contemptuous or humiliating treatment.
2. a humiliating insult.
1. to tear down; demolish; level to the ground
2. to shave or scrape off.
1. very sheer and light; almost completely transparent or translucent.
2. delicately hazy.
1. an event, circumstance, etc, that happens before another
2. the hypothetical clause, usually introduced by "if", in a conditional statement: that which implies the other
3. preceding in time or order; prior
1. to encourage or instigate (trouble, discord, etc); stir up
2. med to apply heat and moisture to (a part of the body) to relieve pain and inflammation
1. domineering; arrogant; overbearing
2. rare urgent; imperative
1. a person, especially an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
1. to sharpen (a knife, tool, etc.) by grinding or friction.
2. to make keen or eager; stimulate
3. Chiefly Southern U.S.
a. a spell of work.
vigorous in demands or complaints.
1. a delicate or fine point; punctilio
2. a fine distinction; subtlety; detail
3. Usually, niceties. a refined, elegant, or choice feature, as of manner or living: working hard to acquire the niceties of life.
4. exactness or precision.
5. the quality of being nice; niceness.
6. delicacy of character, as of something requiring care or tact: a matter of considerable nicety
1. the motion of an object or a projectile in rebounding or deflecting one or more times from the surface over which it is passing or against which it hits a glancing blow.
2. to move in this way, as a projectile.
1. vanishing; fading away; fleeting.
2. tending to become imperceptible; scarcely perceptible.
1. a person or thing that precedes, as in a job, a method, etc.; predecessor.
2. a person, animal, or thing that goes before and indicates the approach of someone or something else; harbinger
3. Chemistry, Biochemistry . a chemical that is transformed into another compound, as in the course of a chemical reaction, and therefore precedes that compound in the synthetic pathway
4. Biology . a cell or tissue that gives rise to a variant, specialized, or more mature form.
to scatter or spread widely, as though sowing seed; promulgate extensively; broadcast; disperse
1. seeking attention and admiration (from) by cringing and flattering
2. trying to please by a show of extreme friendliness and fondness
the common people; the masses
1. to remove or destroy all traces of; do away with; destroy completely.
2. to blot out or render undecipherable (writing, marks, etc.); efface.
full of, expressing, or causing pain or sorrow; grievous; mournful
1. a surviving memorial of something past.
2. an object having interest by reason of its age or its association with the past
3. a surviving trace of something
a. remaining parts or fragments.
b. the remains of a deceased person.
5. something kept in remembrance; souvenir; memento.
6. Ecclesiastical . (especially in the Roman Catholic and Greek churches) the body, a part of the body, or some personal memorial of a saint, martyr, or other sacred person, preserved as worthy of veneration.
7. a once widespread linguistic form that survives in a limited area but is otherwise obsolete