5 Written Questions
4 Matching Questions
- that would double the number of chromosomes in each generation (not a good thing)
- a The reproductive cells that fuse during sexual reproduction must carry the normal number of chromosomes
- b two successive cell divisions that produce haploid gametes
- c Meiosis and fertilization are complementary processeses. (Explain your answer -- p.320, last paragraph)
- d if the number of chromosomes in reproductive cells contained the same number of chromosomes as the parents' somatic cells..
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A few species of plants and animals have lost the ability to reproduce sexually -- they reproduce without fertilization. Ex.: desert whiptail lizards have evolved into entirely female clones
- are unlike homologous chromosomes because they may vary in size and shape and may carry different genes
- each species has a characteristic number of chromosomes
- The haploid number of chromosomes for a species is represented by this symbol.
- In fungi and simple plants, meiosis produces haploid gametes called...
5 True/False Questions
the number of chromosomes in black mollies (a type of tropical fish) → 46
82 → number of chromosomes in turkeys
TRUE → The reproductive cells that fuse during sexual reproduction must carry the normal number of chromosomes
TRUE → Cells of most organisms that reproduce sexually have pairs of similar chromosomes.
diploid → an organism or cell having only one complete set of chromosomes