Which type of facility must have a consulting pharmacist in Texas?
skilled nursing facilities
What are 6 responsibilities of a consulting pharmacist?
(1) medication therapy management
(2) drug regime review
(3) med pass observations
(4) drug room check (quality of medications, expiration, etc.)
(5) provide directions to facilities to avoid or correct deficiencies
(6) keep facilities out of trouble
(7) evaluate plans for excessive drug dose or duration
How would you counsel Fosamax use?
Take with a full glass of water and remain standing for 30 mintues to reduce acid reflux. Evalute electrolyte status regularly.
How would you counsel Lasix use?
Do not take in the evening (need to urinate at night may lead to fall). Monitor especially for hypokalemia. Black Box: potent loop diuretic.
During P4 year. 7, 6 week rotation for formal application in clinical practice. Must complete all 7 rotations
Organized, directed, POST graduate training program in a defined area of pharmacy. Minimum of 1 year.
Research opportunity which may require residency training in addition to completed PharmD. Typically a minimum of 2 years, depending on research
T/F Internship occur after graduation
T/F All fellowships require residencies
False (depends on fellowship)
T/F Internships have both a practice and research component
False (only the practice componenet is the requirement)
What is PGY1?
Pharmacy Practice Residency which is typically general is scope, allows for the development of skills and competency. Requires applocation of knowledge to a broader population ans scope of practice. Lasts 12 months
What is PGY2?
Specialized pharmacy practice residency more specific in scope and requires an advanced depth of training. Typically 12 months minimum.
What is the combined MS in Pharmacy and Specialty Practice Residency Program?
A 2 year commitment with the pharmacotherapy division of UTHSCSA. It may require a PGY1 and depends on the area of clinical interest. Provides another path towards academia
How does the ASHP define a residency in terms of experience?
1 year of residency = 2-3 years on the job
What is accreditation?
A quality seal of approval
ASHP does all accreditation
How long is a PGY1?
How long is a PGY2?
How long is the PGY2+masters?
Minimum of 2 years (not including time for a PGY1 if necessary)
Describe the MATCH
(1) Applicants apply to programs directly
(2) No offers made during interview period
(3) Applicants submit Rank Order List (numerical ranking of program)
(4) Programs submit their Rank Order List
(5) Applicants are matched in rank order by preference to program. If that applicant is listed by that program, a tentative match is made.
(6) A match may be recinded if a candidate ranked higher by the program also matches
(7) Programs must offer a position to a match. Applicants must accept offered positions. Results are binding.