What is human carrying capacity?
The maximum number or load of human individuals that an environment can support with its given resources.
How is human carrying capacity illustrated on a graph?
An S-curve -- shows an exponential growth that levels out at the carrying capacity as no more individuals can be sustained with the limited resources.
What is human population growth?
The change in the size of human population over time.
Relationship between resources and human populations
The more resources, the larger the human population.
The less resources, the smaller the human population.
Factors that affect the carrying capacity
1. Competition for resources
2. Natural or human-caused catastrophes
4. Seasonal fluctuations
How do humans expand the carrying capacity?
- New technology
- Discovering medicinal cures
- Moving into different territories
- Substituting/Importing resources
How do humans limit the carrying capacity?
- Limiting the availability to food and water
- Spreading diseases
- Causing severe climatic changes