5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- liquid outer
- primary (on quiz 1)
- planetoid (on quiz 1)
- a P-waves, or _______ waves, are BODY waves that CAN travel through both solids and liquids. (also known as "pressure waves") (on quiz 1)
- b The moon is thought to have formed when a ______ collided with Earth. (on quiz 1)
- c The S-wave "shadow zone" reveals the Earth's (solid/liquid) (inner/outer) core. (i.e., "liquid inner")
- d The volcanic venting of volatile substances.
- e Lots of harmful solar radiation reached the early Earth's surface because there was no ______ layer.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Earth in the Hadean era was inhospitable to life because the planet was covered in _____.
- German meteorologist who first proposed continental drift in 1915.
- The velocity of seismic waves depends on density and ________. (on quiz 1)
- Between two given locations, A and B, the seismic wave travels along a path that takes the shortest time from A to B. This is called: (on quiz 1)
- What type of dating, involving decay from parent isotopes to daughter isotopes, has allowed scientists to figure out Earth's age? (2 words)
5 True/False Questions
13.7 (on quiz 1) → We know that the universe is expanding due to the Doppler effect, which causes light sent from objects moving away from us to have _______ frequency. (on quiz 1)
4.5 → The solar system is approximately ___ billion years old. (x.xx)
f → True (t) or false (f): oceanic crust is constantly formed, while continental crust is not.
lower (on quiz 1) → The universe began with the Big Bang, which occurred _____ billion years ago. (xx.x) (on quiz 1)
perpendicular → In S-waves, the direction of particle motion is __________ to the direction of wave propagation.