5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Social Security Trust Fund
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Clean Air Act of 1970
- Poverty Line
- a An agency of the federal government created in 1970 and charged with administering all the government's environmental legislation. It also administers policies dealing with toxic wastes. It is the largest federal independent regulatory agency.
- b The law that charged the Department of Transportation with the responsibility to reduce automobile emissions.
- c The value of assets owned.
- d The "Bank account" into which Social Security contributions are "deposited" and used to pay out eligible recipients.
- e A method used to count the number of poor people, it considers what a family must spend for an "austere" standard of living.
5 Multiple choice questions
- An economic system in which individuals and corporations, not the government, own the principal means of production and seek profits.
- An economic theory holding that the supply of money is the key to a nation's economic health. Monetarists believe that too much cash and credit in circulation produces inflation.
- Businesses with vast holdings in many countries, many of which have annual budgets exceeding that of many foreign governments.
- The increasing concentration of poverty among women, especially unmarried women and their children.
- This law requires the federal government to protect actively each of the hundreds of species listed as endangered-regardless of the economic effect on the surrounding towns or region.
5 True/False questions
Antitrust Policy → A policy designed to ensure competition and prevent monopoly, which is the control of a market by one company.
Proportional Tax → A tax by which the government takes the same share of income from everyone, rich and poor alike- for example, when both a rich family and a poor family pay 20%.
Inflation → The value of assets owned.
Patients' Bill of Rights → Government benefits that certain qualified individuals are entitled to by law, regardless of need.
Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) → The law passed in 1969 that is the centerpiece of federal environmental policy in the U.S. This law established the requirements for environmental impact statements.