5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Feminization of Poverty
- Income Distribution
- Water Pollution Control Act of 1972
- a A law intended to clean up the nations rivers and lakes. It requires municipal, industrial, and other polluters to use pollution control technology and secure permits from the EPA for discharging waste products into waters.
- b The increasing concentration of poverty among women, especially unmarried women and their children.
- c The rise in prices for consumer goods.
- d The "shares" of the national income earned by various groups.
- e A program added to the Social Security system in 1965 that provides hospitalization insurance for the elderly and permits older Americans to purchase inexpensive coverage for doctor fees and other health expenses.
5 Multiple choice questions
- the federal agency formed in 1913 and assigned the task of approving all food products and drugs sold in the United States. All drugs, with the exception of tobacco, must have their authorization.
- The federal agency created during the New Deal that regulates stock fraud.
- A method used to count the number of poor people, it considers what a family must spend for an "austere" standard of living.
- Policies that provide benefits to individuals, either through entitlements or means testing.
- Organizations contracted by individuals or insurance companies to provide health care for a yearly fee. Such network health plans limit the choice of doctors and treatments; About 60 percent of Americans are enrolled in HMOs or similar programs.
5 True/False questions
Federal Reserve System → A tax in which the burden falls relatively more heavily upon low-income groups than upon wealthy taxpayers. The opposite of a progressive tax, in which tax rates increase as income increases.
Minimum Wage → The legal minimum hourly wage for large employers.
Labor Union → The rise in prices for consumer goods.
Means-Tested Programs → Government programs available only to individuals below a poverty line.
Wealth → The amount of funds collected between any two points in time.