5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Entitlement Programs
- Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC)
- Endangered Species Act of 1973
- Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)
- a A program added to the Social Security system in 1965 that provides hospitalization insurance for the elderly and permits older Americans to purchase inexpensive coverage for doctor fees and other health expenses.
- b This law requires the federal government to protect actively each of the hundreds of species listed as endangered-regardless of the economic effect on the surrounding towns or region.
- c The federal agency created during the New Deal that regulates stock fraud.
- d A "negative income tax" that provides income to very poor individuals instead of charging them federal income taxes
- e Government benefits that certain qualified individuals are entitled to by law, regardless of need.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- A public assistance, health care program, administered through Social Security, designed to provide health care for poor and/or disabled Americans. It is funded by both the federal government and state governments.
- A fund created by Congress in 1980 to clean up hazardous waste sites. Money for the fund comes from taxing chemical products.
- The rise in prices for consumer goods.
- Organizations contracted by individuals or insurance companies to provide health care for a yearly fee. Such network health plans limit the choice of doctors and treatments; About 60 percent of Americans are enrolled in HMOs or similar programs.
- Businesses with vast holdings in many countries, many of which have annual budgets exceeding that of many foreign governments.
5 True/False Questions
Poverty Line → An economic theory holding that the supply of money is the key to a nation's economic health. Monetarists believe that too much cash and credit in circulation produces inflation.
Antitrust Policy → A policy designed to ensure competition and prevent monopoly, which is the control of a market by one company.
Regressive Tax → A tax in which the burden falls relatively more heavily upon low-income groups than upon wealthy taxpayers. The opposite of a progressive tax, in which tax rates increase as income increases.
Fiscal Policy → the policy that describes the impact of the federal budget-taxes, spending, and borrowing-on the economy
National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) → An agency of the federal government created in 1970 and charged with administering all the government's environmental legislation. It also administers policies dealing with toxic wastes. It is the largest federal independent regulatory agency.