7 major categories of treatment of cancer?
1. surgery; 2. chemotherapy; 3. radiation therapy; 4. immunotherapy; 5. adjunct therapy; 6. CAT complementary and alternative therapy; 7. unorthodox treatments
1. oldest most successful technique; 2. most commonly used; 3. useful for cancer contained in an area to completely eliminate it
1. supplment to primary treatment; 2. over 12 kinds oc cancers can be treated - Hodgkin's, acute lympathic leukemia, testicular cancer; 3. several drugs given in combo
SE of chemotherapy
1. destruction of normal cells that reproduce freq like digestive tract, hair, bone marrow can lead to nausea, hair loss, lowered RBC count
1. localized cancers; 2. destroys ability of cells to divide; 3. before surgery - reduce tumor to an operable size; 4. after surgery - destroy any remaining cancer cells
SE of radiation
1. loss of appetite; 2. nausea; 3. temp hair loss
1. enable pts body to produce substances that can resist growth of cancer; 2. experimental
Treatment: adjunct therapy
1. after primary treatment is completed; 2. usu medicine to prevent recurrence
1. complementary and alternative therapy; 2. herbal tea; 3. nutrition; 4. yoga; 5. meditation
1. false hope; 2. apricot pits, mistletoe, linseed
4 prognostic factors for cancer?
1. type - lung, colon, skin, etc; 2. stage - 1-4; 3. age; 4. physical condition