5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- XYZ Affair
- New Jersey Plan
- Legislative Branch
- Northwest Ordinance
- a incident of the late 1790s in which French secret agents demanded a bribe and a loan to France in lieu of negotiating a dispute John Adams was president
- b Opposite of the Virginia Plan, it proposed a single-chamber congress in which each state had one vote. This created a conflict with representation between bigger states, who wanted control befitting their population, and smaller states, who didn't want to be bullied by larger states.
- c The 1787 Northwest Ordinance defined the process by which new states could be admitted into the Union from the Northwest Territory. He ordinance forbade slavery in the territory but allowed citizens to vote on the legality of slavery once statehood had been established. The Northwest Ordinance was the most lasting measure of the national government under the Articles of Confederation
- d Supporters of the Constitution that were led by Alexander Hamilton and John Adams. They firmly believed the national government should be strong. They didn't want the Bill of Rights because they felt citizens' rights were already well protected by the Constitution.
- e the branch of government that makes the laws.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Opposed the adoption of the U.S. Constitution b/c it gave too much power to the national govt at the expense of the state govts and it lacked a bill of rights
- Case in which the supreme court first asserted th power of Judicial review - Supreme court can declare laws unconsitutional
- British practice of taking American sailors and forcing them into military service
- part of the land given to the Americans by the British in the treaty of Paris
- A series of laws that sought to restrict the activities of people who opposed Federalist policies during John Adams presidency
5 True/False Questions
Continental Army → persons appointed by the president to head executive departments of government and act as official advisers
Judicial Review → the power of the Supreme Court to declare laws and actions of local, state, or national governments unconstitutional
Judicial Branch → The branch of government that interprets laws
ally → a government tax on imports or exports
tariff → nation that works with another nation for a common purpose