← AH Chapter 17 Test
5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Panama Canal Zone
- Rough Riders
- Wilbur and Orville Wright
- Panama Canal
- a July 1, 1898 a division of cavalry soldiers led by Teddy Roosevelt. They charged up "San Juan Hill" overlooking city of Santiago, Cuba.
- b Bicycle shop owners in Dayton, Ohio. Constructed an airplane with a gasoline engine and propellers; called the "Flyer." They tested it Dec. 17, 1903 in Kitty Hawk, N. Carolina---the test was the first controlled flights of an airplane.
- c took over 43,000 people to work on it. Canal opened in 1914. It encouraged international trade and economic growth throughout Latin America.
- d Panama granted the U.S. a zone 10 miles wide through the isthmus. Panama would be paid usage fees. The canal was supposed to be a U.S. possession, but U.S. gave Panama Canal back to Panama in 1999.
- e a company that has complete control of a market.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- United States lost about 400 soldiers; did not lose a battle. The war was important for political and economic reasons. (1) the U.S. gained recognition as a leading naval power (2) Great Britain and U.S. became closer allies (3) war helped stimulate trade and industry
- 1859 declared the theory of evolution and "survival of the fittest."
- Emilio Auganaldo led a rebel army against American rule. in 1899. It took 3 years and 70,000 American troops to put down the uprising. President McKinley believed America needed to stay in order to protect the Philippines from foreign powers and help them modernize. Philippines gained complete independence July 4, 1946.
- 1st battle of the Spanish American War took place in the Philippine Islands, another Spanish colony. The U.S. was victorious. Spain's Pacific fleet destroyed.
- February 15, 1898 the U.S. battleship Maine exploded in Havana Harbor killing 260 American sailors. Americans blamed Spanish government. Pulitzer and Hearst hired artists to illustrate the explosion for the newspapers. Americans were enraged! Americans began shouting "Remember the Maine!"
5 True/False Questions
Mann Elkins Act 1910 → increased the government's power to regulate business.
Federal Reserve Act 1913 → created a central banking system under federal government. Provided for 12 districts with a federal reserve bank for each district.
Virgin Islands → purchased for $25 million in 1917; the area provided a strategic defense for the Panama Canal
Spanish American War Ends → Panama granted the U.S. a zone 10 miles wide through the isthmus. Panama would be paid usage fees. The canal was supposed to be a U.S. possession, but U.S. gave Panama Canal back to Panama in 1999.
Hay-Pauncefote Treaty → Former Spanish colony. July 25 American troops land there with little resistance from the Spanish forces. the Puerto Ricans welcomed the Americans.