5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Augustus (Ignorance)
- Council of Ephesus
- a Means Consubstantial, same substance, one in being with
- b Augustine's severe view of predestination has not been accepted by the Roman Catholic Church, but does find a home in some protestant traditions. Augustine reasoned that since God's will is irresistible, the fact that all are not saved means that God wills that some be lost.
- c "Dokien" (Means to appear/ seen)
Believed that Jesus wasn't human at all, said that he only appeared to be human
- d Attempted to resolve the issue between Nestorius and Cyril
cyril supporters showed up first and condemned Nestorius
then Nestorius supporters showed up and condemned Cyril
* Nestorius condemnation is the final resolution of the council.
- e Tolerated ignorance about science, but did not tolerate ignorance about God.
5 Multiple choice questions
Unitive (Strengthening the bonds of love)
- As understood by Augustine, this is the stain with which all humans are infected by the way of the first sin. It's inheritance seems to be effected by concupiscence, a spontaneous desire that flairs up in our fallen humanity, beyond the control of our rationality.
- Jesus is consubstantial with the father and with us
-This teaching grew out of the formula for reunion.
- He supported the Council of Nicea & believed in Jesus' divinity
However, he believed that Jesus did not have a human soul
He thought that the divine logos of the son had invaded Jesus ' body and made him lack the things that made on human.
No pain, No doubt, no emotions
Which implies the emotions that Jesus was making in the bible were fake.
- The Holy Spirit proceeds from the father, through the son
5 True/False questions
The Body of Christ (Incarnational answer) → When Christians received communions; (last supper)
Catholics believe that wine / bread actually become the resurrected body and blood of christ
Christ as a Teacher → Christ became human to teach us the truth, the true law, to teach us how to live, the "Law of Love"
Theotokos → -Became the patriarch of Constantinople (Bishop with alot of honor)
-noticed people called mary Theotokos (the God bearer), he didn't like that so he said people need to call mary theotokos and anthropotokos (which means human bearer)
Nestorius → One who brings forth Jesus (Mary)
Augury → Is Greek for "Soul"