5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- What were New England colonies' clustered settlements like?
- What did European countries do to improve agricultural production?
- Why/who did public services begin with?
- What type of service are the majority of people in and why?
- What were middle atlantic colonies' settlements like?
- a Business- higher demand and better pay
- b Since there was a wide variety of cultures, and most came as individuals dispersed settlements became popular.
- c converted their rural landscapes from clustered to dispersed with the enclosure movement (G.B)- consolidated individually owned strips of land into a single large farm owned by an individual
- d When settlements developed, they needed protection and developed public services
- e -built on an open area called a common. -Clustered settlements favored by New Englanders for traveling in a group and to reinforce common cultural/religious values.
-Land was not sold, but awarded to an individual
5 Multiple choice questions
- A market center for the exchange of goods and services by people attracted from the surrounding area
- cultural bonds had weakened, descendants of original settlers grew less interested in the religious and cultural values.
- the maximum distance people are willing to travel to use a service- small range: convenience store, large range: sports stadium
- the area surrounding a service from which customers are attracted
5 True/False questions
Why and who did consumer services begin with? → began in settlements with hunters and gatherers. Permanent settlement was made to store these goods and then the resources were traded
What pattern should a rank-size rule have on a graph? → Should be a straight line- if it isn't, that means the society doesn't have a rank-size distribution of settlements
What are other names for clustered rural settlements? → Circular or linear
What happened in clustered rural settlements when the population grew too large for the fields? → New settlements- called satellite settlements, were established nearby because not all land was under cultivation
What are the three main types of services → the largest settlement has more than twice as many people as the 2nd ranking settlement