5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- What are the 2 patterns the gravity model takes into account?
- What do public services do and examples
- What were southeastern colonies' settlements like?
- What is the Kremlin?
- What produces a regular pattern of hierarchy?
- a small, dispersed farms at first. Then plantations grew
- b The medieval walled area of central Moscow and where russian military leaders work
- c Security and protection- gov, police, fire, public education
- d 1. the greater the number of people living in an area, the greater the number of potential customers 2. the farther people are from a particular service, the less likely they are to use it
- e Ranking settlements from largest to smallest (in population)
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- a service that facilitates other businesses- FIRE (finance, insurance, real estate), professional management (lawyers, accounting, architecture, design) and transportation (trucking-semis and metra, broadcasting, electricity)
- the maximum distance people are willing to travel to use a service- small range: convenience store, large range: sports stadium
- provide services for people who desire it (don't NEED it) and can pay for it (ex: Retail, leisure activities- restaurants and hotels, education-private and college, health- fitness and plastic surgery)
- A region with a core where the characteristic is most intense
- A market center for the exchange of goods and services by people attracted from the surrounding area
5 True/False Questions
What is the primate city rule → the largest settlement has more than twice as many people as the 2nd ranking settlement
What creates a regular pattern of settlements? → Competition between central places
Why/who did business services begin with? → When settlements developed, they needed protection and developed public services
What is a threshold → the minimum number of people needed to support the service
What type of service are the majority of people in and why? → Business- higher demand and better pay