5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- Cross-cutting relationship
- a Igneous rock featured formed when magma is squeezed into a horizontal crack between layers layers of rock that hardens underground.
- b Seismic sea wave that begins over an earthquake focus and can be highly destructive when it crashes on the shore.
- c Principle that states that which cats across is younger that what it cuts.
- d States that in an undisturbed rock layers the oldest rocks are on the bottom and the rocks become progressively younger toward the top.
- e The preserved remains or traces of an organism that lived in the past.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- Surface along which rocks move when they pass their elastic limit and break
- large, ancient landmass that was composed of all the continents joined together
- Principle that states that in a series of layers that contain fossils, the oldest fossil is at the bottom.
- Vibrations producedwjen rocks break along a fault
- Unusually a hot area at the boundary between Earths mantel and core that forms volcanoes melted rock is forced upward and breaks through the crust.
5 True/False Questions
James Hutton → Geologist who developed the principle of Uniformitarianism, considered the father of modern geology.
Dike → Igneous rock featured formed when magma is squeezed into a horizontal crack between layers layers of rock that hardens underground.
Shield Volcanoe → Steep sided loosely packed volcano formed when tephra falls to the ground.
Cast → A type of body fossil that firms when crystals fill a mold or sediments wash into mold and harden into rock.
Angular Unconformity → An unconformity in which younger sediment or sedimentary rocks rest on the eroded surface of tilted or folded older rocks.