5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______.
- several biological clocks
- sleep efficiency
- a (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- b Zeitgabers.
- c the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
- d because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
- e they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
- Slow waves (Delta waves. )
- She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
- REM sleep may be regulated separately from the amount of slow wave sleep (because it rebounded after being deprived) and that REM sleep may serve a special function.
- rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
5 True/False Questions
narcolepsy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
Randy Garner → it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
zeitgebers cause sleep cycles? → early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
desynchronization → synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
reticular activating system → Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.