5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- several biological clocks
- how to cure jet lag?
- tricyclic antidepressants
- a They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
- b early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
- c (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- d 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
- e they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
- no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
- 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.
5 True/False Questions
a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory. → REM
Muscle tone changes → 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
iatrogenic → synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
default theory → the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
why sleep? → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.