5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- several biological clocks
- reticular activating system
- how much sleep do you need?
- a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory.
- a they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
- b Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
- c According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
- d thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
- e activation synthesis
5 Multiple choice questions
- synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
- Slow waves (Delta waves. )
- no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
5 True/False questions
after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves. → Delta waves. Slow waves
narcolepsy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
how to cure jet lag? → two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
micro-sleeps → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
Randy Garner → kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.