5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory.
- ________ sleep appears to play the major recuperative role.
- activation-synthesis theory
- how to cure jet lag?
- sleep efficiency
- a activation synthesis
- b formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
- c early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
- d because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
- e Slow waves (Delta waves. )
5 Multiple choice questions
- Delta waves. Slow waves
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
5 True/False questions
why sleep? → two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
5 beliefs about dreaming → 1. only lasts for an instant. False
2. some people say they don't dream. False.
3. erections mean sexual content. false.
4. sleep-talking and sleepwalking only occur during dreaming. false. can occur during any stage.
5. External stimuli can be incorporated into dreams. True.
iatrogenic → the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
effects of sleep deprivation → because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
narcolepsy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.