5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- dreaming occurs during ____ sleep.
- sleep efficiency
- a because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
- b 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
- c REM
- d sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
- e (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
- Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
- kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.
- no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
5 True/False Questions
environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______. → Zeitgabers.
why sleep? → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
default theory → that REM is the default state of sleep. If your body needs to perform any other function, than it switches-out to NREM, but once everything is take care of, you switch back to the default state of sleep: REM.
________ sleep appears to play the major recuperative role. → rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory. → REM