5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves.
- a modern alternative to Freud's theory of dreaming is Hobson's ______________ theory.
- effects of sleep deprivation
- sleep efficiency
- how to cure jet lag?
- a early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
- b rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
- c because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
- d Delta waves. Slow waves
- e activation synthesis
5 Multiple choice questions
- 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
- Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
- She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
- sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
5 True/False questions
reticular activating system → They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
zeitgebers cause sleep cycles? → no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
REM deprivation studies show that → formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
5 beliefs about dreaming → that REM is the default state of sleep. If your body needs to perform any other function, than it switches-out to NREM, but once everything is take care of, you switch back to the default state of sleep: REM.
________ sleep appears to play the major recuperative role. → According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.