5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- Muscle tone changes
- environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______.
- why sleep?
- how much sleep do you need?
- a two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
- b When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
- c According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
- d Zeitgabers.
- e it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
5 Multiple choice questions
- they are the same in bacteria, fish, and humans.
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
- She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
- early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
5 True/False questions
cataplexy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
Randy Garner → kid who stayed up for 11 days, then went to sleep for 14 hours and recovered. he was fine.
tricyclic antidepressants → 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
reticular activating system → thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
desynchronization → when two different cycles (core body temperature, and sleep-wake cycles become desynchronized). This suggests that there are more than one circadian timing mechanism, and that sleep is not casually related to decreases in body temperature that normally correlates with it.