5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- ________ sleep appears to play the major recuperative role.
- how to cure jet lag?
- effects of sleep deprivation
- a early morning bright lights and early morning exercise
- b rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
- c synthesized from serotonin in the pineal gland, it has been assumed to play a role in promoting sleep or regulating it's timing in mammals.
- d Slow waves (Delta waves. )
- e the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- formed in response to Freud, he says that dreams are random as the result of random firings by neurons that the brain tries to make sense out of.
- She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
- According to Pinel, only 5.5 hours.
- When a sleeper has come back down to one from 4, and they are at stage 1 again, they have a loss of muscle tone in the muscles of the body core.
5 True/False Questions
reticular activating system → Recuperation--being awake disrupts the body's homeostasis in some way and sleep is necessary to restore it.
Circadian--sleep isn't recuperation, rather it is a program in us to sleep at us regardless of what we endure throughout the day.
iatrogenic → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
why sleep? → 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
tricyclic antidepressants → 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves. → Delta waves. Slow waves