5 Written Questions
5 Matching Questions
- zeitgebers cause sleep cycles?
- tricyclic antidepressants
- reticular activating system
- Miss M
- a thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
- b They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
- c when two different cycles (core body temperature, and sleep-wake cycles become desynchronized). This suggests that there are more than one circadian timing mechanism, and that sleep is not casually related to decreases in body temperature that normally correlates with it.
- d no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- e She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
5 Multiple Choice Questions
- REM sleep may be regulated separately from the amount of slow wave sleep (because it rebounded after being deprived) and that REM sleep may serve a special function.
- (a precursor of serotonin) doesn't appear to have any therapeutic benefit in helping people sleep with insomnia.
- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
- because sleep becomes more efficient (more REM) in people who need it because they have been sleep deprived, it means that conventional sleep-deprivation studies are virtually useless for discovering how much sleep people really need.
5 True/False Questions
narcolepsy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
how to cure jet lag? → two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
Randy Garner → it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
cataplexy → sleep disorder---experience sever daytime sleepiness and repeated 10-15 daytime sleep episodes.
why sleep? → two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.