5 Written questions
5 Matching questions
- after a length period of sleep deprivation, when you finally go back to sleep, the subject's first night of sleep contains a much higher proportion of _____ waves.
- Miss M
- dreaming occurs during ____ sleep.
- zeitgebers cause sleep cycles?
- a no, they only can entrain the timing of it. But in an controlled environment with constant light and stuff, people still go through periods of wakefulness and sleep.
- b REM
- c Delta waves. Slow waves
- d when two different cycles (core body temperature, and sleep-wake cycles become desynchronized). This suggests that there are more than one circadian timing mechanism, and that sleep is not casually related to decreases in body temperature that normally correlates with it.
- e She only needed to sleep for like an hour a night. She woke up totally refreshed. Her only difference in sleep was that it was shorter.
5 Multiple choice questions
- it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.
- 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
- rats die, humans just get sleepy, and don't do well on tests of vigilance.
- two theories. Recuperation and circadian theories.
- 2-3 second long periods of sleep--can even happen standing up. Usually happens while sleep deprived.
5 True/False questions
tricyclic antidepressants → They block REM, but people are just fine. so it makes you question the need for REM sleep...
narcolepsy → the second symptom of narcolepsy--recurring losses of muscle tone causing those afflicted to sit down or even crash to the floor unable to move for a couple minutes while fully conscious.
environmental cues that can entrain circadian rhythms are called ______. → thought to be responsible for maintaining wakefulness. High levels = wakefulness. Low levels = sleepiness.
Muscle tone changes → 1-2-3-4-3-2-1-2-3-4-3-2-1 etc.
sleep efficiency → it means "physician created" -- most cases of insomnia are the result of this. In a large part because of withdrawal effects from sleeping pills.